Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectmight have to get a new barber
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13430825
13430825, might have to get a new barber
Posted by grey, Fri Apr-23-21 03:26 AM
during the pajama (covid misnomers will never not be funny to me) i could let my beard go through the ugly phase to connect where it normally wuuhhsn't quiiiiite ((c)ced) connecting without a lot of time. wanted to get the beard cleaned up and it was my first time back to the shop after a long quarantine break. i thought he’d be happy to see me since i had been paying him through the quarantine.

NOPE. nigga gave me a standard cut, and just shaved the beard down, no line up on the neck area. i been out the game for a min so as long as its neat im good. plus i’ll be on my way home ((c) chuck) in a few years anyway so im not super picky about it.

a few weeks later i hit him for another cut but for some reason the shop closes early now? after a whole palantir technologies and being closed for a year? not his shop, not his call, so im like aight i guess. i had some shit comin up though so i had to get a cut that day.

first shop i got to, two dudes cutting, nobody else in the shop, one almost done. cool. i give the universal wassup/gesture for next and i thought he confirmed it back but i must have been mistaken cuz when dude got up and i got up to take his seat, the barber was tellin me he had an appointment. nigga you didn’t see me sitting there watching you cut that mans hair for the last 10 minutes? so i wait for other dude to finish, and he tells me the same thing, lmao. NIGGA I SEEN YOU WAS RIGHT HERE WATCHING THIS WHOLE SHIT. it was getting dark so i skedaddle outta there and find somewhere else. no other shops open on the block except this hair salon right next door. two older aunties getting they hair done, and another auntie chilling, sweeping around her stall looking busy. i asked her if she cut (she got a barber license nigga, yes she cuts – i don’t think she thought anything of it but i thought about how dumb of a question it was later).

anyway when i tell you it was one of the best cuts ive had in a few years. took her time, beard crispy. you know when you look in the mirror after not having a cut in a min and you get that tingle, well i aint have it with my barber under the much more favorable circumstances of a long break, so we may got a prollem. later that week got two unprompted compliments by my boy and my sister.

i had a silly thought that maybe he was a lil mad at me. he got into it with his wife, she told him she was through, and he hit me multiple times asking for advice. i told him not to trip, all relationships had ups and downs etc. and if he tried to fix it, more than likely she wasnt going anywhere... *whispers* she went somewhere lol... mind you he been cutting me for like a decade, i was like NIGGA YOU MARRIED?! lol it aint funny but this nigga never really talked to me about personal shit like that. kept it sports, hoes and the trips hed take overseas for said hoes. he aint bring none of the breakup stuff up when he cut me so it was awkward. i prolly shoulda stayed out of it.

but yea it might be a wrap. i dont know how to tell him though, lol, so i might just suck it up for the next few years.
13430831, I stopped right here
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Apr-23-21 07:12 AM
You were paying him, even though you weren't getting cuts?

<
>i thought he’d be happy to see me since i had been
>paying him through the quarantine.
>
13430854, I would have done it if I still had a regular barber.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Apr-23-21 09:23 AM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13430899, ha
Posted by grey, Fri Apr-23-21 12:24 PM
between saving a gang of money workin from home on gas, insurance, forbearance (lol), i didnt see the harm.

plus he was going through it, shop closed, lady kicked him out. it was a paula abdul, niggas was hurting.

13430900, people were doing it. my barber explained his situation recently.
Posted by double negative, Fri Apr-23-21 12:26 PM
in the same vein, my wife and I when we would go for pick up, we would tip extra to keep our favorite places open

my barber was able to keep the lights on from patron support during the thick of it all. I was surprised it came to that because its not the second or third thing I would think of doing but it makes sense.
13430905, I did it once.. and only because someone on here suggested it
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-23-21 01:00 PM
felt like giving back since I wasn’t impacted financially from the shut down and actually made way more money since day care was shut down.

13430840, Loyalty to barbers
Posted by AFRICAN, Fri Apr-23-21 08:18 AM
I changed my philosophy and it paid off.
No more graceful dancing around my Barbers convenience.
I pay, you cut, you fuck up, I change barbers.
And I don’t have one regular, I have three that I rotate.
I don’t do small talk anymore.
I don’t tip if I’m not happy with my cut.
I actually tell the barber I’m not happy with the cut and give him a chance to do something about it.
I turned into an asshole and it has paid off tremendously.
This goes against everything I grew up believing.
I wish I had done this sooner.
13430851, Honestly the ONLY thing off the table to me was going to another
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Apr-23-21 09:10 AM
barber in the same shop. And even then there were times I'd do that if I was having trouble getting an appointment from my main barber.

That being said, I cut my own hair 100% of the time now. Even before the pandemic I was cutting myself maybe half the time - but at this point I have it down to a science. Especially since I also cut both of my sons hair. I'm literally saving over 100 per month doing it myself.

Barber equipment has made a big jump in quality over the last few years. If you're still just using corded Andis T-Outliners and corded Wahl Seniors/Andis Masters there's so much new stuff to check out that make cutting your own hair more easy. Babyliss, Gamma, and JRL are all newer companies to the game with DOPE cordless options. (IMO, the Bevel cordless trimmer doesn't hold up to the above options I mentioned.)

I also have my eye out for Oster to release a cordless version of the Fast Feeds - IMO the best adjustable clipper for a beginner. There's also a few options for nice 3-way mirrors you can use to make self-cuts more easy.
13430856, I go to Dominicans where I have no loyalty
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Apr-23-21 09:26 AM
After having a barber for 10 years who I would invite to family BBQs and what not. Me and said BBQ had a quiet falling out (or maybe one way, I didn't like something he said and I saw a pattern of how annoying he was), I went to a new barber and I realized my faithful barber had been given me a old man cut for 10 years.

I guess I miss having a Barber I can talk to but I go to the Dominicans, anyone with a open chair, no talking and I am out in 25 minutes for cheaper that my older regular barbers.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13430902, lol u sound like a pimp
Posted by grey, Fri Apr-23-21 12:30 PM
nigga said he got a rotation and no small talk, im weak. u hard on em!

i couldnt do it. swear i thought about telling dude i moved and giving him a severance.
13430916, I used to be a simp
Posted by AFRICAN, Fri Apr-23-21 01:24 PM
Listening to boring ass stories and life failures, playing off slights and prima Dona behaviours and tipping for mediocre cuts and chopping it up to a bad day.
And after all this some new motherfucker will swoop in while you’re waiting for your turn.
It’s a new day.
I want my hair cut.
Keep all that other shit.
13430952, yea all that sound familiar
Posted by grey, Fri Apr-23-21 04:20 PM
barbershop wives club n shit

13430852, had to use a new barber since mine was in a car accident
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-23-21 09:19 AM
he hit me with the

“well, I hope your barber is okay but ummm.. you know where to find me”

its closer to the house, the fade was nice.. who knows what will happen in a week or 2 when I get my next cut.

13430863, this thread reminds me of Soul
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-23-21 10:10 AM
barber shop scene was my favorite part of the movie

main character: “how come you never told me you wanted to be a vet?”
Barber: you never asked
13430903, ha
Posted by grey, Fri Apr-23-21 12:36 PM
how come you aint tell me you was married when you was showin me all these booty pictures? .. you never asked.

that scene and the one with his moms at the tailor was probably the blackest scenes in that movie.
13432997, do you follow your barber to a new shop?
Posted by mista k5, Mon May-17-21 04:54 PM
mine moved, think im going to just get someone else at the same place. before i settled on the current one i had a few of them cut it and i think they all did good except for one. with my luck i will get the one that wasnt good, dont remember which one it was lol
13433006, I’ve only had one let me know he was leaving ahead of time.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon May-17-21 07:50 PM
The rest have either moved states out of the blue, or literally dead or in jail.
13433002, Felt.
Posted by Binlahab, Mon May-17-21 06:24 PM
My former barber been cutting my hair for...at least 10 yrs.

Decided right before the Panasonic to move about 25 min north.

That....is too much for me

I been on the hunt for a new guy ever since and this whole make an appointment to spend $40-45 life is harsh
13433144, RE: Felt.
Posted by TR808, Wed May-19-21 10:25 AM
>My former barber been cutting my hair for...at least 10 yrs.
>
>Decided right before the Panasonic to move about 25 min
>north.
>
>That....is too much for me
>
>I been on the hunt for a new guy ever since and this whole
>make an appointment to spend $40-45 life is harsh

bruh.. where are you that they charge 40 bucks for a haircut? There is a spot downtown Richmond that charge 25 for a cut but you get a free draft beer and they got leather couches and big screens playing ESPN ....

I havent been since the Panerademic but I might go back.
13433127, my barber was in a car accident
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-19-21 09:28 AM
so I was forced to find a barber.

He’s closer to the house too

but more expensive.
13433184, I had a barber who had a stroke, and couldn't cut anymore
Posted by GOMEZ, Wed May-19-21 01:20 PM
so messed up. Most of them dudes have shitty to zero insurance, man. I donated to his gofundme and everything, but that's no permanent solution. I haven't seen that dude since, but man, I hope he and his family are good.

13433183, paying him through the quarantine.
Posted by rdhull, Wed May-19-21 01:08 PM