Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHow was there no imminent threat of death to Ma'Khia's life if she
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13430612&mesg_id=13431074
13431074, How was there no imminent threat of death to Ma'Khia's life if she
Posted by kfine, Mon Apr-26-21 03:17 PM
called 911 and essentially stated there was in the call?? And before calling 911, called her grandmother, again out of fear for her life?? Plus, there's her grandmother's eyewitness account confirming Ma'Khia's claim that the girls were also armed with knives and trying to stab them as well. If Ma'Khia's stabbing attempt is considered a threat to Girl-in-Pink's life, how can the girls' stabbing attempt not be considered a threat to Ma'Khia's life? From a legal perspective, does it matter how many minutes passed between when 911 was called and when police arrived? As in, the amount of time between each side's attempts?

And re: means of retreat, the lawyers say that the law/SB175 as it came into effect on April 4 2021 *removed* the requirement for #3:

"The law explicitly states that:

A trier of fact shall not consider the possibility of retreat as a factor in determining whether or not a person who used force in self-defense, defense of another, or defense of that person’s residence reasonably believed that the force was necessary to prevent injury, loss, or risk to life or safety."

I mean, wasn't that the main change to the law?

edit: also, the assailants' genders are meaningless imho. I would be making these same arguments if Ma'Khia was instead a 300lb man named Leroy bc I would still think he shouldve been tackled/restrained/disarmed instead of shot dead like that. The judge-jury-executioner thing is very problematic to me.