Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectA few points
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13430612&mesg_id=13430911
13430911, A few points
Posted by kfine, Fri Apr-23-21 01:14 PM
"The situation, to me, was past the point of de-escalation."

^We know this is false bc fights this chaotic and worse have beeb happening in schools and other settings since forever, and are de-escalated by the staff in those settings without killing any children. There's educators in this post attesting to this fact.

"The only other option I see would be to risk his life to try to disarm her. And this is where my struggle is bc it would be great if he did but I think it's unreasonable to expect that from regular police."

^And yet we see footage all the time of police subduing protestors and other types of combatants with tackles, holds, and other manouveurs in high visibility settings. We even see footage, from time to time, of police utilizing tackles, holds, and other manouveurs when the people involved are NOT being violent, like so: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/McKinney-pool-party-teen-Becton-Cole-13017647.php. Even in this post someone told the story (granted, in the UK, lol) of how police effectively subdued a man wielding a machete without using lethal force. So this poor widdle police officer what else was he supposed to do but kill her narrative is some bullshit. The fancy holds and manouveurs exist and come out when they want them to, and risking their lives for public safety is literally the job. With the kind of budgets PDs have, they're supposed to be trained and competent enough to de-escalate a fight between some teenage girls without lethal force. The excessive force is what's unreasonable, not the duty.

"I mean, I want the police to try harder to de-escalate where appropriate but this doesn't seem like the situation for it."

^When police get called about a bomb threat, do we see them show up and blow up the building?? No. They try to de-escalate, evacuate, whatever other fancy shit to take apart said bomb, etc. So how is the *excessive* force that has come to define interactions police have with Black people appropriate? Like, the tackle that McKinney officer used on the teenager at the pool party might have been more appropriate to use against Ma'Khia in this particular incident kind of thing. And if the kids in these incidents were white in upscale neighborhoods, how much do you want to bet the police response probably would have been VERBAL? But no, it's tackle tf out of the teenage black girl sitting outside the pool and shoot dead the actively fighting black girl instead of tackle and subdue her; yall see this as an appropriate way to interact with Black children. Wtf?