Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectPolicing and guns are the problem, part 2
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13430612&mesg_id=13430834
13430834, Policing and guns are the problem, part 2
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Apr-23-21 07:33 AM
So been reflecting on this more, still not fully formed....Some of you know I practice jiujitsu so there is a whole community of cops and bootlickers there who are steadfast that it was 100% the right move so that had me thinking more.

As stated above there is a right and wrong and good vs bad worldview those folks have that exists in a very different way for me.

In my job as an educator, even if a student punches me— if I punch him back there’s a high likelihood I’m fired and find a hard time finding another job. Now imagine me shooting a student—even to save another student. What would the perception of me be? Because in that role i am supposed to be someone who cares for young people and to fathom someone who cares assaulting another person doesn’t compute for most people. Cops on the other hand aren’t seen as caretakers.

Let’s play along with the “there are thugs and criminals narrative” that we need to take off the street who are generally bad people. Most if not all of those bad people have attended school at some point in their lives. We’re they not bad people in schools? Why are they not been beat up, choked to death, killed at the same rate in schools?

Because that’s not what teachers do. Are there tragic fights that have ended up in severe injury or death in schools? Sure but rates are way lower because schools are seen as a place where young people should be protected (yes there’s an argument against this that I and many others probably have- but I think you’ll get the general idea). Guns are largely out of school for a number of reasons—including terrible metal detector policies, but yes teachers and schools staff don’t have guns either. Undoubtedly if teachers could carry guns we’d see an uptick in school shootings by teachers where now we basically see 0. There are a lot of racists and closer racists in teaching too, but without a gun and the power and role to POLICE and find bad people— they don’t murder students in schools... .