Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYou know how you ensure great customer service?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13430388&mesg_id=13430424
13430424, You know how you ensure great customer service?
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Apr-19-21 03:34 PM
Create and enact great customer service policies.

I briefly worked for Bed, Bath & Beyond back in 2010.

Their training was such that I quickly grew knowledgeable about seemingly menial details about towels, cookware, all that shit.

Their policies were such that three people in line were too many, and we were required to stop whatever we were doing to open a new register.

Don't have a coupon? No problem, use this one.
We don't have it in stock? We'll order it for you.

Returns, a year old? No receipts? Stains?
Fuck it, here's your money back.

So they did a lot to ensure great customer service, and most of us did very well on that front because we were very well equipped.

What they didn't do was treat their employees well.

Scratch that; their store manager didn't treat employees well. The floor managers were fucking rock stars.

But anyone stuck with the store manager that day was fucking miserable, because he was a royal prick. And he picked at everything, every mistake, every imperfection, he'd hammer that shit home.

18 hours a week wasn't shit.
No benefits.
Minimum wage to boot.

I dipped when a real job- my current one- came calling.
And this fucking guy had the audacity to ask why I would leave.

There was a lot of turnover. So yeah, they'd get new employees, train them and repeat the cycle.

So sure, you can focus heavy on the customer service aspect while treating your employees like expendable garbage.

POint is? You don't have to. It's not an either or. Equip your employees for great customer service, and they'll do it. But you can do that while still making the employees the number one priority.