Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat it means to be a man in 2021.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13429552
13429552, What it means to be a man in 2021.
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 06:31 AM
Off the top...women don't get to define that

You mad?

Good.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
13429558, Not GAF about how another man defines himself.....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Apr-09-21 07:40 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13429566, Sounds nice in theory, utterly impossible IRL
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 08:11 AM
people care immensely what others think abt them

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
13429559, **sips coffee**
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Apr-09-21 07:46 AM
good morning, daddy 😊
13429565, Hola!
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 08:09 AM
You know the vibes ©️

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
13429573, Same thing it's always meant
Posted by MEAT, Fri Apr-09-21 09:54 AM
Respect for self, respect for others
13429616, Eh.
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 12:31 PM
I can have zero respect for others/someone else and be a man
13429624, You can be a male, but you aint a man
Posted by MEAT, Fri Apr-09-21 12:39 PM
Unless you talking about no respect for certain individuals. But overall, nah. You aint living long like that.
13429574, Having to be calm/cautious at all times
Posted by Adwhizz, Fri Apr-09-21 09:54 AM
13429617, Uh...I disagree nm
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 12:31 PM

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
13429626, Why though, women really don't like it when men lose their temper
Posted by select_from_where, Fri Apr-09-21 12:53 PM
they want a wall to lean their emotions on, seeing men lose their composure creates stress for them.
13429629, Soon as you raise your voice/get emotional you're
Posted by Adwhizz, Fri Apr-09-21 01:19 PM
perceived as as a threat/source of trauma

If I talked to my Wife/my Ex-GFs the way they talked to me I would probably have had a nice little stint in a jail cell.

Maybe I just have a really approachable face/demeanor but pre-pandemic there were instances where random strangers/people I barely know (not just women) would feel comfortable touching me, and yea I might have WANTED to stiff arm them, but in the long run it's not worth the hassle to be out here barking on people.
13429711, I think you may need to have a sit down with the wife
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Apr-10-21 08:23 AM
cause you shouldn't tolerate being talked to like that UNLESS you said or did some foul shit.

Early in our relationship after an argument the wife and I agreed we wouldn’t talk to each other like that. Not saying we don’t argue or disagree on things but the tone of our voice will never be on some disrespectful shit.
13429636, women dont get to decide or have a say in what a man is nm
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 02:00 PM

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
13429638, I'm still aware there's going to be consquences to how
Posted by Adwhizz, Fri Apr-09-21 02:03 PM
I'm perceived by other people, including women.
13429653, And accepting those consequences...makes you a man nm
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 03:49 PM

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
13429710, this isn’t true.. they don't like when we lose our temper towards them
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Apr-10-21 08:19 AM
but let someone disrespect them while you are with them and unless its jail time they will want you to show emotion and anger towards that person

I mean.. what person likes it when their mate shows anger towards them? Only damaged goods likes that type of energy pointed in their direction.
13429720, yeah women love to see their men at full froth on their behalf
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Apr-10-21 11:19 AM
13430611, uh not necessarily
Posted by Damali, Wed Apr-21-21 04:54 PM
let me handle the disrespect myself, then u be mean mugging right behind me just in case the shit goes left LOL

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13430744, nah.. nope.. nada
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-22-21 02:45 PM
I have seen this scenario too many times

the woman: “I can handle it myself” .. “please chill, stop being so aggressive”

goes to club or venue and drunk dude oversteps and the man chills

the woman: “wtf? where were you? didnt you see what was happening? If I can’t trust you to protect me..”

my wife is my nuggah, she always tells me she got my back. When shit goes down tho.. she knows to go start the fucking car. I don’t need both of us getting knocked the fuck out.

Someone gotta drive us home dammit.
13430765, LOL ok fine
Posted by Damali, Thu Apr-22-21 04:50 PM

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13429580, what version of man are we talking about? White Man or man?
Posted by double negative, Fri Apr-09-21 10:31 AM
Only because I read 'The Man Not' and that particular nugget has been rattling around in my head for a while.

i think about the insights from recent studies that show black fathers are more involved with child-rearing than others

and, I know that there are additional roles and considerations black men , all black men in America shoulder

so...it depends
13429618, In any statement I make the Black is silent
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 12:33 PM
I'm not talking abt or concerned with anyone else but my people

So if I type women do xyz...the Black is silent. I'm talking abt Black people. Forever and exclusively

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
13450361, tommy curry the legend.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Sun Dec-19-21 11:45 AM
13429598, Accepting your patriarchal bullshit for what it is
Posted by imcvspl, Fri Apr-09-21 11:26 AM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." ďż˝ Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
13429620, A method of survival? Fa sho nm
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 12:33 PM

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
13429606, My pops gave me the roadmap I am raising my boys with.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Apr-09-21 11:55 AM
I never seen my dad play a sport. Never threw a football with me and I had to learn basketball on my own.

I never seen my dad wear jeans or sneakers until much later in life. Like in his 60s.

I've seen him cry a million times. In public. He could be at church and sharing a story and be moved to tears.

And yet he was always the coolest, smartest, baddest mofo I have ever met.

Man loved clothes, cars, music, knowledge and people. Wasn't a subject matter he couldn't speak on. Was always reading some huge biography. Had subscriptions to GQ, Esquire, New Yorker and Vanity Fair when no one within 3 zip codes were reading those type of magazine. Was more charming than anyone I've ever met. Could talk to anyone from the brothers on the corner to my college professors.

I've never seen my dad cower or bow his head to white folks. Seen him curse out everyone from cops to judges (even was held in contempt and put in jail for telling a judge off).

I mean look at this moutha.

https://ibb.co/F39DqW7

So I say all this to say I've seen so many brothers struggle with the idea of what it means to be a man and conform to societal standards whether its street toughness, or bagging chicks or even making money but I really neer felt those pressures because my dad was never that type of man but was still "The Man" in my eyes.

My pop turns 80 next week and is in a home suffering from dementia so forgive a brother for bragging, that's headspace I'm at in the moment.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13429609, Every man defines himself...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Apr-09-21 12:01 PM
..No two men share the same perspective all the time.

Your pops sounds like one helluva character and a stand up dude. Honor that.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
13429623, #givethanks
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Apr-09-21 12:35 PM
Talk yo shit

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
13429625, respect...peace to you and him....
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Apr-09-21 12:51 PM
and everyone affected by his condition. Watching your pops not be as strong as you remember is very hurtful.
13429647, your dad sounds like a dope dude.
Posted by PROMO, Fri Apr-09-21 03:17 PM
i never had a father.

i had to figure out what it meant to be a man on my own.

by most people's accounts, i figured it out pretty well. your pops sounds a lot like me now (but definitely better read).

and now i get to pass it down. i hope my son sees me how you see your pops some day. feels like he does now, but he's also 5. when he's 35, i hope it feels the same.

respect.
13430662, Man showing up is half the battle.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-22-21 09:17 AM
Just being there and trying to have your kids see you like that means you already on the right track.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13429712, bruh.. the part about never cowering to a white man is dope as fuck
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Apr-10-21 08:27 AM
that’s powerful

13429722, Man My pops from a generation where you really didn't have to deal with
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Apr-10-21 11:57 AM
White People. Virginia Union and Virginia State, HBCU cats who became professionals working for themselves and servicing black clients and people and really didn't have to deal with or need White people at all to prosper. I don't even think that exists anymore.

13429725, I lived in PA and we sorta had that but not on that scale
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Apr-10-21 12:28 PM
I’m old enough to remember a lot of Black owned businesses.

Lived in a predominantly white suburb but of course we had our own shit because they didnt want any part of us in their establishments

but with the steel mills pumping we had a lot of dollars circulating.

my schooling was PWT but my afterschool program and summers was all black everything.

10 years ago an Italian friend found himself at our Black VFW and was amazed. We’ve known each other for 40 years, he lived 2 minutes from it and never knew it existed. We lost that building because of unpaid taxes and the younger generation moving away or going to clubs in the city. This VFW is where Duke Ellington and Ella would perform after playing white clubs in the city.

13430536, Solid
Posted by grey, Tue Apr-20-21 04:47 PM
Sounds like home. Pops would kill when Jeopardy came on and got us interested in reading by subscribing to every magazine under the sun.
13430548, daps nm
Posted by vik, Tue Apr-20-21 08:19 PM
13450354, And this week, I will have to bury him.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Dec-19-21 08:18 AM
I'm not prepared to talk about him, but I wanted to share what some folks from the community wrote about him on FB:

"Attorney P and his wife were THE FIRST ones to recommend that I go to Howard University. If he had never done anything else for me, that would have been enough! But then Mr. P went the extra mile and introduced me to someone who helped me pay for college. As a result, I never had the insurmountable student loan debt that plagues so many college graduates. When I came back home after college he allowed me to use his office to send and receive faxes, use the copier, etc.... He was always a role model, an advisor and a supporter. I am grateful to be a part of the lasting legacy of Mr. P. You made a tremendous difference in my life!! You will be missed."

" thank you for so graciously sharing your loved one with our community. Mr. P was a role model, encourager, and ALWAYS saw better and bigger for others than they saw for themselves. So grateful for my favorite high school memory of shadowing him as County Attorney for Student Government Day. He picked me up from school in one of his finest rides and took me to court with him. People thought I was his paralegal and he never corrected them that I was just a high school student. It was a special day. He imparted so much wisdom and care in my goals and ambitions that I’ll never forget. He did that with everyone. We’ve lost a giant in the community but we celebrate his life and humanity. We are grateful and appreciate that his legacy lives through all of you."

13450355, And this week, I will have to bury him.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Dec-19-21 08:18 AM
I'm not prepared to talk about him, but I wanted to share what some folks from the community wrote about him on FB:

"Attorney P and his wife were THE FIRST ones to recommend that I go to Howard University. If he had never done anything else for me, that would have been enough! But then Mr. P went the extra mile and introduced me to someone who helped me pay for college. As a result, I never had the insurmountable student loan debt that plagues so many college graduates. When I came back home after college he allowed me to use his office to send and receive faxes, use the copier, etc.... He was always a role model, an advisor and a supporter. I am grateful to be a part of the lasting legacy of Mr. P. You made a tremendous difference in my life!! You will be missed."

" thank you for so graciously sharing your loved one with our community. Mr. P was a role model, encourager, and ALWAYS saw better and bigger for others than they saw for themselves. So grateful for my favorite high school memory of shadowing him as County Attorney for Student Government Day. He picked me up from school in one of his finest rides and took me to court with him. People thought I was his paralegal and he never corrected them that I was just a high school student. It was a special day. He imparted so much wisdom and care in my goals and ambitions that I’ll never forget. He did that with everyone. We’ve lost a giant in the community but we celebrate his life and humanity. We are grateful and appreciate that his legacy lives through all of you."

13450515, Blessings to you and your family
Posted by EMATI, Wed Dec-22-21 02:14 PM

13430569, still trying to define something that's not real definition.
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Apr-21-21 09:06 AM
or at least no meaning that applies to universally. every trait that is deemed 'man', can be given to anyone.

also, men are emotional creatures, just like other humans. wish we'd stop with the calm/stoic caricature that some of us have become. including me.
13430571, *opens lawn chair and fills cup w/ drank*
Posted by Damali, Wed Apr-21-21 10:08 AM
this should be interesting.

d

13430577, It probably wont lol
Posted by Bambino Grande, Wed Apr-21-21 10:56 AM
>this should be interesting.
>
>d
>
>"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of
>people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing
>at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13430610, LOL you prolly right
Posted by Damali, Wed Apr-21-21 04:51 PM

13431203, You prolly don’t fuck with her, but is she wrong? (Link)
Posted by Bob Darker, Tue Apr-27-21 11:52 PM
https://youtu.be/QBf3lwjqvgo

We all might hate her opinions on most topics...but is she wrong here?

Particular to @7:22 ...

Her point on men:

The modern woman wants to mold males into men that they ultimately don’t want.

Is this true?

I saw a IG post with a woman calling men that approach her at grocery stores “incels.”

So dudes that she doesn’t find attractive that have the gall to say hello are incels now?

Like, damn...really?!

That word is almost as overused as “simp.”

Humans gonna be extinct within 100 years at this rate.
13431204, 🙄 she's a piece of shit bedwench and supporter/ apologist for..
Posted by Somnus, Wed Apr-28-21 06:46 AM
for white supremacy and the murder of Black people at the hands of law enforcement, hence, her opinion on ANY & EVERYTHING should be null and void, ESPECIALLY when it concerns Black folks.
13431205, This is where I'm at basically. Fuck her.
Posted by kwez, Wed Apr-28-21 07:01 AM
13431206, Emphatically.
Posted by Somnus, Wed Apr-28-21 07:05 AM
13431208, Is Bob Darker white? They love this woman for some reason
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-28-21 07:18 AM
only thing I have to add is she looks just like my sister in law..

and my SIL only dates white dudes. Must be the look.
13431244, RE: Is Bob Darker white? They love this woman for some reason
Posted by Somnus, Wed Apr-28-21 11:35 AM
Hell if I know, but I'm willing to wager dude may be lacking in the melanin dept...physically or otherwise.
13431248, yeah.. when I see people push her
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-28-21 12:39 PM
its usually those Ye types who want to troll Black folk..

or its white dudes who love to see Black people shit on Black people.
13431249, RE: yeah.. when I see people push her
Posted by Somnus, Wed Apr-28-21 12:56 PM
>its usually those Ye types who want to troll Black folk..
>
>
>or its white dudes who love to see Black people shit on Black
>people.

or hillbilly redneck/incel types with a Stacy Dash/ Omarosa-type fetish

but in comparison Klandace makes them two look like Assata Shakur and Angela Davis
13431255, Naw, bruh...I’m definitely not white and I don’t fuck with CO like that at all
Posted by Bob Darker, Wed Apr-28-21 01:19 PM
But I do have the ability to separate the message from the messenger, which apparently some folks can’t do, I see...

I didn’t ask if anyone liked her...

I asked if what she was saying wrong in regard to women’s expectations of men, vs. what they really want on a biological level.

Nobody is pushing CO....I just saw the vid and tied it to what this post was asking.

Ole buddy talking about people trolling and incels... the fact that she live in that man’s head like that rent free...damn...that shit must suck.

Fuck the messenger....focus on the message.

Is what she saying wrong?
13431256, RE: Naw, bruh...I’m definitely not white and I don’t fuck with CO like that at all
Posted by Somnus, Wed Apr-28-21 01:26 PM
>But I do have the ability to separate the message from the
>messenger, which apparently some folks can’t do, I see...
>
>I didn’t ask if anyone liked her...
>
>I asked if what she was saying wrong in regard to women’s
>expectations of men, vs. what they really want on a biological
>level.
>
>Nobody is pushing CO....I just saw the vid and tied it to what
>this post was asking.
>
>Ole buddy talking about people trolling and incels... the fact
>that she live in that man’s head like that rent
>free...damn...that shit must suck.
>
>Fuck the messenger....focus on the message.
>
>Is what she saying wrong?

just to reiterate: fuck if what she's saying is right or wrong at this point, SHE IS AND BEEN WRONG; her whole existence is wrong. Fuck her and everyone she loves.
13431267, i can respect that
Posted by Bob Darker, Wed Apr-28-21 03:30 PM
>just to reiterate: fuck if what she's saying is right or wrong at this >SHE IS AND BEEN WRONG; her whole existence is wrong.
>Fuck her and everyone she loves.

Her overall paid white-face ideology is trash for sure, but I figured cats would be mature enough to discern the difference between 'who is saying' and 'what is being said.'

Definitely wasn't trying to turn this into convo about her, but I get it, she triggers many just at the sight of her. I get it.

All good.
13431262, Not "pushing" her, just taking time out of your day to watch her videos
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Apr-28-21 02:31 PM
and post them from an alias account for others to watch.
Not pushing her though.
Gotcha.
13431317, this
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-29-21 08:11 AM
13431272, We not sharing and discussing Candice Owen in 2021 are we?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Apr-28-21 04:10 PM

13431238, We get to choose, because the western ideal of manhood is dead.
Posted by Castro, Wed Apr-28-21 11:17 AM
13431257, damn straight.
Posted by GOMEZ, Wed Apr-28-21 01:34 PM
13450362, A lot of men need to hear that.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Sun Dec-19-21 11:47 AM