Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNo, the big differences are social media and subgenres
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13429254&mesg_id=13433579
13433579, No, the big differences are social media and subgenres
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon May-24-21 03:17 PM
>Nobody had to try and convince us...LL just was.

Drake "just is" too. The only Drake line I know off top is "last name ever, first name greatest, like a sprained ankle, boy, I ain't nothin to play with".

That's it. That's the only one. There are three Drake songs I like that I can think of.

Forver
She Will (on Lil Wayne's album)
Duppy

That's it. There may be another 1-2, but I can't come up with one.

His dominance exists whether I fuck with him or not.
And LL had his critics back in the day. Thing is, there weren't multiple networks connecting people from all walks of life so that they can publically talk about it, much less carry on the same conversation within a single thread for months on end the way we do now.

Saying "LL just was" ignores a long ass list of contextual differences that... make a difference.

Because people tend to romanticize shit. I went back through his catalog and realized there was a good amount of LL that just isn't for me. I still rock with him for sure, because he was a heavy influence on me as a young hip hop head. He's a GOAT and a pioneer.

But Drake is a literal industry game changer, and he hit at a time that coincides with a boom in social media. So it stands to reason that the biggest artist of a generation where damn near everyone is not only able to access his music, but is also able to easily talk about him with complete strangers, would be discussed quite a bit.

And since nobody is universally loved, it makes sense that we have various camps, for and against. Because that's how social media works.

Big vs Pac, Jay vs Nas, and on, those conversations would have been elevated exponentially had we had social media of our current day, back when those feuds were at the forefront.

>Drake stans are weird IMO
>
>Just let LL have his HOF moment without making it about you.

people discuss shit. There's nothing "stan" about this.

Stan is usually some generic, meaningless fuck shit someone pulls out whenever someone else is praising someone people don't like. It's effectively the same as "player hater", in that it's essentially a way to shut down a conversation by deflection or dismissal, rather than have the actual discussion.

Drake's style is such that, if you're the type that still loves LL to this day, he may not appeal to you. I know that's the case for me. Hip Hop has plenty of subgenres now, and it's easy to dismiss or overlook the shit that doesn't fit a particular box.

And Drake's at a level where he's irrevocably altered the sounds and trends of the music, and his name warrants such discussions against other legends, because he occupies a similar place in hip hop history.

I/you/we don't need to be among his fans to acknowledge his significance in that light.