Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWith all due respect...that’s a bunch of bullshit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13429254&mesg_id=13429342
13429342, With all due respect...that’s a bunch of bullshit
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Apr-07-21 07:03 PM
>Look at the 2021 landscape.. we got Little Brother, Freddie
>Gibbs, Griselda, Drake, Travis Scott, Cole, Lil Nas X, Megan,
>Cardi, etc...
>

You surely aren’t giving Drake credit for Griselda and Gibbs. Little Brother came before Drake...not to mention, I wouldn’t even name drop them as an act consistently putting out work. Lil Nas X is absolutely fucking terrible.

This is what I mean, people give credit for bullshit. Just because something is around or different does not mean it’s a positive.

>There are so many options and awesome rap music to listen
>to...
>

I don’t necessarily disagree with this but it has absolutely ZERO to do with Drake and everything to do with the landscape and how music is consumed. I’m actually baffled at some of your response in the context of giving Drake credit.

>Not to mention the resurgence of R&B which is a direct result
>of what Drake polished from Kanye and Cudi’s experiments...
>
>
>Now we have The Weeknd, Frank, Miguel, The Internet,
>Thundercat, Jhene, Sza, Solange, Soulection etc...
>

None of these acts are that good. Sorry, they’re not. I’ll give you The Weeknd I guess. But none of those acts will go down as all-timers by any means. So what is your point?

>The 2021 landscape is super rich with ideas.. Drake took more
>fringe ideas from 808s and Heartbreaks era and the Blog Era
>and made them mainstream which in turn allows the economy of
>those ideas to grow.
>

It’s really not though. Everything sounds exactly the same. Back in the day we had distinct sounds. West Coast, East Coast, Down South...everyone had their own thing. If anything Drake and these new artists pushed an agenda to morph everything into these same lazy atmospheric beats with no grove, no funk, no vibe to them. For you to come on here and try to praise that as a plus says a lot about your knowledge in music man.

>This new generation of warped tour rap isn’t directly in the
>post drake continuum but imo starting with NERD/Pharell to Ye
>to blog era Cudi and Lupe to Drake the explosion of creativity
>and rap has been an awesome thing to behold. And it has only
>made the genre and its influence stronger

Again...the FUCK does this have to do with Drake?