Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBy possible sentence; 2nd degree is punishable by up to 40 years
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13428753&mesg_id=13430278
13430278, By possible sentence; 2nd degree is punishable by up to 40 years
Posted by bentagain, Fri Apr-16-21 12:13 PM
3rd degree 25
and 2nd degree manslaughter 10

Before the trial, I thought 2nd degree manslaughter was a slam dunk
Basically, oopsie my bad you're dead, it's what Daunte's killer is being charged with for 'mistaking' a gun for a taser

Having watched/listened to a majority of the trial...I think he's guilty of all 3...and I didn't hear a reasonable defense

the murder charges get into intent
2nd degree murder, the prosecution needs to prove Chauvin committed a felony i.e. a knee to the neck while a suspect is in custody
3rd degree murder, removes the felony aspect and the act just needs to be obviously dangerous
2nd degree manslaughter is negligence

Guilty on 2nd degree, based on the testimony that MPD does not train officers on the restraint used, and I believe there was explicit documentation in the trainin that forbids the knee on the neck

Guilty on 3rd degree, based on the precedent set in the officer Noor conviction

Guilty on 2nd degree manslaughter, based on the knee remaining on the neck after GF was dead

The defense has been entirely focused on cause...which basically concedes 2nd degree manslaughter
The defense failed to provide reasonable doubt, IMO, about the cause of death...so I believe the murder charges stick too