Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBut it doesn't, because it completely dismisses a very clear connection
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13427264&mesg_id=13427910
13427910, But it doesn't, because it completely dismisses a very clear connection
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Mar-19-21 12:03 PM
between a Black father and his Black daughters that is so often attempted to be severed by literally EVERYBODY in society.

As a parent, I have a very real impact and responsibility to make sure the things they experience and are exposed to is consistent with values and mindsets that will allow them to prosper and flourish.

I need to understand if/why/how something that is being pushed as empowering is actually empowering if I'm going to allow my kids to be exposed to it. So from that angle alone, it's a very valid request for me or any other Black parent to make to those that are steady screaming "OH THAT SONG IS ABOUT FEMALE EMPOWERMENT!!" ...so, as a Black man, with two Black daughters, married to a Black woman; yes, I'm firmly centered in the experience of women...

The status-quo of rap culture isn't a metric that should be used to determine what's empowering. Two wrongs don't make it right.

I'm not fragile, I'm not hit dogging either. I very clearly made the statement, and have yet to receive a concise reason for what exactly it is about this song that makes it empowering and worthy of being presented in mainstream, family oriented prime time programming. You're not really trying to "help me out".... you're trying to frame my very clear statements as something that they simply aren't.

My issue isn't with the song.
My issue isn't with the artists.
My issue isn't with subject matter.
My issue isn't with hip-hop culture.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"