Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI so don't mind being the old man complaining about the kids
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13427264&mesg_id=13427575
13427575, I so don't mind being the old man complaining about the kids
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Mar-16-21 09:13 PM
Because the kids should hear it from time to time.

And I am really not moved by the "but it was just as bad when we were kids" argument because that may be the case, but then we always had old people who pushed back. I am not talking about Tipper Gore or The Right Wing and Preachers, but rather our parents or other grown-up we respected.

I feel like black people get played by white liberals at time because white liberals will be out there promoting a certain type of oversexualized or thuggish type of young black entertainers but would never want it for their own kids.

I think a lot about how social media has blurred the lines between what we say publically to everyone and what we say at home to family, friends and children.

The police shutting down Two Live Crew and NWA for indecency is ridiculous, even though my parents were right to not let me have that music playing in their house.

To that end, I think a lot of the ado about WAP is signs of end times is over the top and ignores what we grew up listening too, but yeah WAP doesn't need to be performed at the Superbowl or Grammy's because these are family broadcasts.

Personally, I think worst than being the old head complaining about WAP is being some old head trying to prove how hip I am by gushing over social media about a song clearly made for young (but not too young) people.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"