Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSo nobody watched the Dangelo Verzuz last night?!?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13425475
13425475, So nobody watched the Dangelo Verzuz last night?!?
Posted by sersey, Sun Feb-28-21 09:57 PM
Thought there woulda been a post playing out in real time over here? Highlights included The HER duet, D’s coat, Dj Scratch’s hour long set, and D doing Another Life .

Also thought it was strange Quest made no mention of the event on his social accts and didn’t pop up in the chat. Are D and Quest on the outs again?
13425476, they didnt really do any promo for it and it wasnt that good.
Posted by Reeq, Sun Feb-28-21 10:12 PM
what was the point of having it at the legendary apollo theater if it was just gonna be a typical verzuz stage setting?

and him just sporadically singing over the retail tracks with vocals included was a letdown.

it was dope that he brought out h.e.r. but even the setup and arrangement for that song transition was kinda sloppy too. then they just played part of the real record after that.

its always good to see homie perform but it coulda been so much better.

the dj scratch set was fire tho.
13425478, They are putting more and more into it and it's getting worse.
Posted by Nopayne, Sun Feb-28-21 10:28 PM
The awkward stage setup looks terrible on Instagram, it's clear they want to nudge you onto Apple TV.

Ciroc bottles everywhere.

Awkward sponsor reads.
13425480, is the aspect ratio different on apple?
Posted by Reeq, Sun Feb-28-21 10:44 PM
ive never watched it on there.
13425497, ^^^ Yep. I checked out the first few minutes, realized it was just
Posted by soulfunk, Mon Mar-01-21 09:58 AM
him singing over the regular songs, and turned it off. The Verzuz format just isn't for me - it's more about the social media aspect of seeing who is there and what they are saying in the comments. The audio is never that great, they make it really difficult to watch streaming on a TV, etc. There were some battles that were cool from a stand point of seeing certain artists together and giving each other love, or for the comedy in the comments, but besides that - eh.

On top of that, it isn't really an actual live performance type of thing. When I saw that this was D "and Friends" and that it was at the Apollo I was thinking it would be at least all played and sung live, and hopefully with a live band. Besides the H.E.R. performance which I tuned back in for, the rest was just whatever. Good to see D, and hope this is a sign that more is actually coming though.
13425481, I didn’t know they were still doing Versus
Posted by DJR, Sun Feb-28-21 11:19 PM
DMX - Snoop was the last one I watched, I think. Knew nothing about this one.
13425495, Vid’s posted on their gram
Posted by bentagain, Mon Mar-01-21 09:35 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CL01oHIDifN/

Listened in the background while watching bball

No complaints from me.
13425508, I have no idea why they are not properly producing these events.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Mar-01-21 11:31 AM
Hire an event video producer. Get a multicamera setup, with proper audio and make this look at least as good as the televised source awards.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13425559, It did at least look and sound better on Apple music.
Posted by KiloMcG, Mon Mar-01-21 03:39 PM
Couldn't see the ig commentary which took away from it a bit. It wasn't as good as I anticipated or could have been, as mentioned above, but it was still cool. The HER duet was a highlight for sure and the opening with the trumpet player was cool.
13425514, that was confusing to me
Posted by mista k5, Mon Mar-01-21 12:00 PM
i remember reading there was going to be one but it was going to be in a venue. didnt know if that meant it was only going to be for a live audience or if it would be streamed. didnt seem like he was going up versus anyone which um.. okay.

if he was a favorite of mine i would had made some effort to understand what it was and probably had watched.
13425541, Rumor is Maxwell backed out.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Mar-01-21 02:14 PM
So it was supposed to be D'Angelo and Maxwell.
D said he was still down to do it, so it became D and friends.

And I like the production value.
I liked it better when it was directly ON instagram and
the artists were on different screens.

It was fun.
13425560, Talked about a D and Maxwell vs with a friend.
Posted by KiloMcG, Mon Mar-01-21 03:40 PM
Didn't know that was the original plan. That woulda been a good one.
13425591, I don't understand
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Mon Mar-01-21 10:11 PM
the format should be to sing over the
instrumental version, kinda
irritating listening to the artist
singing live over their own voice.
surprised that dangelo agreed that. i
liked the duet with h.e.r. really
nice.
13425688, It was one of the best I've seen
Posted by blackfoot_female, Tue Mar-02-21 07:59 PM
not the best, but top 5 definitely. loved it.