Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: be specific. how? via what mechanisms?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13425249&mesg_id=13425363
13425363, RE: be specific. how? via what mechanisms?
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Feb-26-21 01:30 PM
>what quantifiable goals would you aim to achieve as a measure
>of success? what are your timeframes for those goals?

Getting something passed to provide some economic support on a national level to redistribute the massive wealth gained as result of the slave trade and jim crow laws passed across multiple states would be a start. Funds set aside for education, or housing, or banking to make up for the continued disparities in the US would make the most sense IMO.

>do you just wanna amplify the conversation? change public
>opinion? garner congressional support?

I don't remember the California Representative that I saw on C-Span years ago that proposed reparations that led to no where, but having the White House propose this would hopefully garner more support for the cause than the California Representative that proposed it.

>does any of this take executive action? how and why?

Congress controls national funding, so I don't know how much an executive action would accomplish for anything as massive as reparations.

>if youre gonna criticize someone for not doing it...i assume
>you have a few ideas that we can pour through and pick apart
>to debate whether they would work too.

You are free to disagree with me all you want and think I am too naive to question Obama backing this on a podcast with Bruce Springsteen while he could have done more while he was in the White House. You are entitled to your opinion. I am of the opinion that trying to redistribute the wealth gotten through discriminatory ways that continue to hurt black folks in this country is a worthwhile discussion to honestly have.