Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWho are your heroes (excluding family)?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13424516
13424516, Who are your heroes (excluding family)?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Feb-18-21 03:09 PM
So for my boys black affinity group at school they were asked to share who there heroes were. To help them figure out who there heroes are me and there momma talked about our heroes which started with our parents and family members.

When we asked who there heroes were they were.....The Rock and Kevin Hart.

My wife tried to gently suggest someone like Harriet Tubman and Barack Obama and they did add Obama, but the truth is, if you ask me who my heroes are outside of family members, they would be

Prince, Richard Pryor, Spike Lee, Muhammad Ali & Magic Johnson, all entertainers.

There are all sorts of people I admire like Toni Morrison, Paul Robinson, Malcolm X, MLK, James Baldwin, Zora Neale Hurston but not sure I would call them my heroes because they seem so distant, like black gods.

Anyway, there affinity group day came around and I was scared my boys would be the only ones with "lightweight" heroes but there were quite a few Kevin Harts & The Rocks.

Anyway, who would you call your heroes? I say exclude family because for a lot of people that would come too easily.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13424518, Edwin Moses, John Carlos, & Tommie Smith
Posted by MEAT, Thu Feb-18-21 03:17 PM
And that’s it.
13424521, Malcolm, Fred, Angela
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Feb-18-21 03:39 PM
13424531, All the obvious, but I've added LeBron to the list
Posted by KingMonte, Thu Feb-18-21 04:22 PM
13424533, Ken Griffey Jr., AOC, Jeff Gerstmann, Stephen Colbert
Posted by Nodima, Thu Feb-18-21 04:42 PM
In terms of I have unequivocally good things to say about all these people and at various times in my life have gone to them for comfort.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13424541, ditto to AOC!
Posted by Damali, Thu Feb-18-21 05:00 PM

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13424535, Jay Z, Dev Hynes, Donald Glover, Tristan Walker
Posted by double negative, Thu Feb-18-21 04:45 PM
Jay Z - I'm not the biggest fan of his music but I appreciate his drive and I think hes one of those people who would have been good at anything. Now that hes older and more mature I really appreciate his self awareness, he talks like someone whos done some therapy and self work

Dev Hynes - for just being himself and doing what feels right

Donald Glover - big glow up. he went from nerdy comedian goofball to sexy singer dude to legit rapper, to excellent show creator, writer. His ability to be good in a lot of different areas inspires me and makes me know that it's not about being the best at one thing and letting that one thing dictate who you are.

Tristan Walker - he overcame his start in life, he essentially built his persona and built a solid brand

I have lots of others, but those are the names that come to mind in the moment
13424538, Hmm
Posted by handle, Thu Feb-18-21 04:48 PM
ALL of my are problematic except Stevie Wonder and Bill Russel.

Pre 1942 F.D.R.
Pre 1975 Dick Gregory.
Pre 1996 George Carlin.
Muhammad Ali - except the black separatism period.
Cesar Chavez - except the Catholicism.
Bill Gates - post Microsoft period.

13424540, Stacy Abrams, Fred Hampton, Jamal Khashoggi
Posted by Damali, Thu Feb-18-21 04:57 PM
Alexi Navalny
Chelsea Manning
Patrice Lumumba
Jamal Khashoggi
Toni Morrison
Malcolm X
Zora Neale Hurston
Frederick Douglass
Edward Snowden
Gareth Jones
Angela Davis
Assata Shakur
Anthony Bourdain

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13424548, Gordon Parks, Selma Burke,Arthur Ashe, Juicy J, Steve Wozniak
Posted by tomjohn29, Thu Feb-18-21 05:48 PM
13424553, Gordon Parks is a good one. Everyone knows his photography even if
Posted by GOMEZ, Thu Feb-18-21 07:45 PM
they don't know it. I came to know about him through his photography, but dude was so diverse and talented. Later I was like, 'wait, what? He's the guy who made Shaft?' Dude was inspiring.
13424551, Suda51, Melvin Van Peebles, Kool Keith, Rivers Cuomo...
Posted by Adwhizz, Thu Feb-18-21 06:08 PM
Also my old/deceased college professor Bill Donnely
13424602, Besides artists, there's Frederick, Malcolm. John Henrik Clarke...
Posted by flipnile, Fri Feb-19-21 09:56 AM
...Carter G. Woodson, James Baldwin and a few others.

I'm an artist, and art ia s how I express myself so most of my heroes are artists.

I have plenty of non-Black non-artist 'heroes' as well, mostly writers/philosphers/scientists/intellectuals/etc.
13424612, Chappelle, Aaron McGruder, Kobe, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ye, DOOM
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Feb-19-21 11:20 AM
Akira Toriyama, Yoshihiro Togashi

folks that inspired me w/ their thought, creativity and their approach to their professions
13424613, Malcolm X....James Baldwin....Alan Watts
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Fri Feb-19-21 11:26 AM
13424665, WEB Dubois, Dr. King, Arturo Schomburg
Posted by naame, Fri Feb-19-21 04:48 PM
America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.
13424867, Jay Z...
Posted by Trinity444, Mon Feb-22-21 05:19 PM