Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBut isn't the first one generalyl right with one HUGE exception.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13424179&mesg_id=13424228
13424228, But isn't the first one generalyl right with one HUGE exception.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-16-21 11:44 AM
>The notion that our collective decision-making should be made
>by the smallest, most localized authority is a conservative
>value,

I think in a vacuum, I very much believe that people should govern themselves and bad government happens most often when people are far removed from the people making decisions about their lives. If there is a pothole in my street, I want to be able to call up someone in government to complain about it. I want my congress person to have an office in my neighborhood and I can make an appointment to speak with him.

That being said, there is a HUGE exception to this rule as it pertains to the rights of minority groups (and when I say minority groups broadly). The local majority should not be able to infringe on the rights of minority groups.

We always know what republicans mean when they say small government and states right. They don't want the federal government interfering with how they poorly treat minority groups.

Its an exception that 100% swallows up the rule for good reason. I wish there was a non-racist way to see local rule work and be value in our government.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"