Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI meant to mention "self reliance" and "individualism" ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13424179&mesg_id=13424223
13424223, I meant to mention "self reliance" and "individualism" ...
Posted by Brew, Tue Feb-16-21 11:02 AM
>I used to answer this question by saying: limited
>role/function of government, self reliance, focus tradition
>and order. But now, who knows

.. when I mentioned "it's not important until it happens to me." I think even the "self reliance" thing is built on racism and bigotry as well. In that, white people have a much easier time being "self reliant" since we have a 400 year head start in terms of wealth, resources, and opportunity at our disposal.

But funny how "self reliance" takes a back seat when white people face even the slightest inconveniences. I wouldn't call this particular example a "slight" inconvenience, it's pretty serious - but the situation in Texas right now is a good example of what I'm talking about. Two weeks ago they were all "fuck the feds !!" and talking about secession. Now they're begging for federal funds because they got 2 inches of snow.

Again, it's very serious and I don't mean to minimalize what the *people* of the greater Austin area are going thru - it's horrible and I wish them well. I'm talking about the Governor and politicians who found it acceptable to laugh at other states who needed fed funds in the past, openly. Who are now begging for funds themselves.