Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHmm... are you sure it's the execution that was lazy?..lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13424065&mesg_id=13425060
13425060, Hmm... are you sure it's the execution that was lazy?..lol
Posted by kfine, Wed Feb-24-21 12:06 AM
>*Spoilers within*
>
>Why would she not
>even check to make sure she was getting in the Uber she
>ordered?

This isn't that uncommon, is it? And given the psycho couple were intent on kidnapping her due to their father's/father-ILs obsession w/ Monae's character... would that even have made a difference? They could've just lied, no? Like:

"Hey, are you Abigail?"

"Yes Ma'am :)"

etc.

Where in the entire hell did the little girl come
>from in the hotel elevator (and dressed like THAT) no adult
>supervison or anything?

Well I mean, where did the creepy flower delivery guy come from (who obv worked for Denton as he was wearing one of those BD pins)?? And psycho red-head girl i.e. Denton's daughter, when she got into Monae's character's room (and was also wearing a BD pin)? The little girl/psycho red-head girl's daughter was dressed the same as how she was earlier in the movie when she was "in character" at the family's plantation, so maybe she'd just come from there or was about to go there etc. I actually think the Denton family might've even owned that hotel or something, bc that would make sense of why the flower guy and psycho red-head girl and the little girl/psycho red-head girl's daughter were able to gain such easy access. Additionally, if the Denton family owned that hotel it would help explain how they knew Monae's character would be in town for that specific conference and at that specific restaurant that night in order to abduct her (eg. remember her creepy interaction with the front desk, which she just assumed was bad customer service?). Denton was a racist wealthy election-rigging POS whose name was plastered all over (eg. the huge re-election ad the ubers drove past when Monae's character was being abducted) and had a huge following. It'd actually make total sense that the plantation and re-enactment park were not his only properties in the area. He was like a Trump.

The guy she tried to escape with, as
>strong as he was, just suddenly became useless to point of
>getting killed quite quickly and easily, and she had to kill
>the slaver herself. I know the story is about a female hero
>and all, but damn.

Hmm... I think useless is a little harsh on dude. Denton intentionally went ham on him first (which they also did at the start of the film when they were trying to subdue/recapture he and his wife... so maybe neutralizing the Black man first was/is the actual tactic). And also we have to remember he was enslaved at that point... who knows what kind of injuries he might have been fighting with? Even that shit they did to his back earlier in the film could have rendered him a weaker fighter still by the time of that later escape attempt. It's not like they were being taken care of/had access to healthcare or anything.

If your issue is with the idea that little Monae could have taken out Denton tho, then I donno... I don't think we should put anything past a woman trying to fight her way back to her child/family. And maybe that was a point Bush + Renz were trying to make intentionally? Denton's confederate thugs brutally murdered that guy's wife right in front of him, which must have been excruciatingly traumatic and emasculating etc. Maybe not only brutalizing the Black man but taking away all he had to fight for (and rubbing it in his face, by making him clean up her remains in that death shed) made him a weaker fighter and more susceptible to Denton's intent to kill him once and for all. In contrast, throughout Monae's time at that plantation we see her reminding herself of her family (eg. running her hands over the replica of her daughter's picture she carved into the wood) and her motivation to escape. And perhaps that made her a more desperate and ruthless fighter.

The agendas here were more important than
>good storytelling at some key spots in this movie... mostly
>the transitional spots, which can really ruin a story.
>
>Concept was cool tho. It's a shame, because if it didn't seem
>so slapped together, it would probably be one of my favorite
>movies right now.

Lol, I'm just glad to get a chance to talk about it. No one I know in real life has bothered to check it out. I def think it's worth watching tho.