Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectwas SNL on point tonight or
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13423165
13423165, was SNL on point tonight or
Posted by rdhull, Sun Feb-07-21 01:01 AM
was being high af have something to do with it?
13423183, Not bad
Posted by handle, Sun Feb-07-21 02:08 PM
Overall nothing so bad that I had to turn away or skip a lot of it. Not sure if anything was CLASSIC though.

Opening commercials were good but there was literally no thought given to how bridge to "And live from New York!"

Dan Levy tour monolog is bad, as have 95% of "the hosts walks around and gives a tour" monologs are bad.

Universal Studios Tour Guide - Stupid but funny.

Zillow - Too long but good.

Super Bowl Party - I like the premise - went on too long.

Black History / White Friend - Bland

Phoebe Bridgers song 1 - Seems like a throwback to normal pop to me. Horn section was good touch. Silyl costume that worked I thought. Way better than the country or rap selections they've learned on a lot lately.

Weekend Update - Bland - except for Twins The New Trend. That was a good roast of those dudes.

Hot Damn! - Did Mulaney send this in from rehab??

Wedding - Nope.

Phoebe Bridgers song 2 - Silly - but charming. Highlight - the hug.

It Gets Better - Bland - but Dan Levy should play Leaonard in any future Big Bang Theory prequels.

13423196, RE: Not bad
Posted by Nodima, Sun Feb-07-21 07:15 PM
Wow, I assumed Mulaney was stone sober.

He definitely doesn't remind me of anyone I know that does coke...let alone drink...I'm not even a fan of his stand-up really but he's always seemed so...focused?

Wild.

Otherwise, I felt like OP. Pretty hot episode. Update was great as usual and the skits made me smile. Continuing the streak of a not quite classic class but it was cool to see Kyle Mooney get more sketches even if he only does the one thing.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13423198, I Popped at them actually mentioning the Clipse song
Posted by Adwhizz, Sun Feb-07-21 07:33 PM
in Hot Damn
13423199, Hot Damn was amazing .all those lyrics learned etc
Posted by rdhull, Sun Feb-07-21 07:44 PM
13423213, you were high
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Feb-08-21 08:26 AM
13423215, amazed people still watch SNL
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Feb-08-21 08:50 AM
13423240, they have their moments and there's usually nothing else on Sat night
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Feb-08-21 12:36 PM
13423287, millions of people do
Posted by rdhull, Mon Feb-08-21 04:49 PM
millions pretend they dont
13432340, same. even in a pandemic i'll wait for the highlights to hit youtube
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon May-10-21 05:50 PM
13432330, SNL Gen Z versus AAVE controversy.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon May-10-21 12:40 PM
So despite ELon Musks terrible performance, this Gen Z Hospital I thought was super hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2Mf6HxIi0

I thought it was Hilarious because this is how my 17 year old niece and her friends talk, dead ass.

There was controversy around it. So much so even outlets like Black Enterprised thought to weigh in.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/saturday-night-live-caught-heat-after-the-misuse-and-appropriation-of-aave-during-a-skit/

also search it on twitter.

What's so stupid about the controversy is that everyone criticizing the skit are 100% missing the point, the skit is funny because its older writers making fun of what Gen Z kids sound like to older people. Whether Gen Z slang appropriate AAVE is besides the point (and also another dumb academic/twitter argument).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13432331, ^^^old^^^^
Posted by eclipsedInI, Mon May-10-21 01:22 PM
13432333, funny premise. execution felt kinda lazy
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon May-10-21 01:50 PM
energy wise. Elon in there with that Jeb Bush level energy

as far as whatever controversy there is, it's recreational at this point for some people. i don't know how people spend their days looking for things to suck the fun out of or lecture everyone about, but damn if i don't see it every time i open twitter.

13432334, OKP in the 2000s was like living in the future
Posted by Triptych, Mon May-10-21 02:01 PM
I feel like half that slang was on here like 15 years ago.
13432338, you see it.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Mon May-10-21 02:58 PM

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
13432335, smh
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon May-10-21 02:05 PM
13432353, I just want to know why/how Cap = Lie....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue May-11-21 06:15 AM
I feel like once I know that.....i'll be whole.
13432378, fwiw
Posted by infin8, Tue May-11-21 12:20 PM
'cap' used to mean 'game' on the west coast.

'You aint got no cap' was like telling a dude he didn't have game. you COULD stretch that definition to 'exaggeration' (the root of old school toxic game)

no cap = I'm not exaggerating/tryna run came on youj.

dang i'm tired.
13432387, dammit...now I wanna know why cap= game lol!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue May-11-21 02:23 PM
13432389, what part of the west?! north or south? when?!
Posted by double negative, Tue May-11-21 02:39 PM
I'm FROM LA and Oakland/SF and none of that shit sounds familiar.

Also, north and south might as well be different fucking states. I had no damn clue what people were talking about when I moved to the bay.

Me walking down the street:

Young man: got them grapes!

Me: Sir?! I beg your pardon?

Young man:..it's...bruh. HERB.

Me: OH! Oh, nawl.

13432390, Controversy? You can't critique internet culture with IRL perspectives.
Posted by double negative, Tue May-11-21 02:42 PM
We create things, but we don't have a monopoly on our creations in the world where appropriation is the language itself.

13432350, I Thought The Skits Were Pretty Good, Not As Bad As I Thought
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Mon May-10-21 11:30 PM
...it was going to be, with all the bad talk and speculation of a few cast members not wanting to work along with Elon, I thought it was going to be another boring ass show but to me it was good, way better than the previous week.

I will admit that Elon can't act to save his life, but we already knew that from the get go, I wasn't expecting him to be anything other than another guest host/performer, I liked that the writers made him butt of some skits but he probably was down for it anyways.

13471849, This new SNL Cast is super lame right?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Oct-26-22 08:03 AM
So Lame I didn't even feel like given them their own post. Couple of episodes in and the only one I can remember is the Spanish dude who did a funny take on Dominicans in baseball.

I know its a rebuilding year but damn. You know its bad when within the first couple of episodes of a new season they have Brendan Gleeson? I had to google the guy from Gangs of New YOrk because who would know his name? And Miles Teller? ANother person I had to google to remember his name.

Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant and Kyle Mooney were big losses but this season has me missing dudes like Alex Moffat.

More Bowen Yang is a good thing but yeah, not a lot going on so far.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13471925, very 'meh'
Posted by infin8, Wed Oct-26-22 01:59 PM
13471938, the only thing i watch semi-reg is weekend update
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Oct-26-22 03:17 PM
on youtube

i havent looked at this new cast. i cant remember the last thing i saw on snl i found all that funny.
i'm sure there are a couple things in the last few years i liked that i'm forgetting right now but it feels like for the most part they got worse since the trump era.