Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's nothing like Yang's UBI plan lol, what are you talking abt.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13423118&mesg_id=13424113
13424113, It's nothing like Yang's UBI plan lol, what are you talking abt.
Posted by kfine, Mon Feb-15-21 12:22 PM
Yang proposed increasing taxes on corporations and high-earners, capital gains, and introducing a carbon tax to make 1000USD per mth/12000USD per yr available to all Americans 18+ over regardless of parental status.

Romney's explicitly proposing the *ELIMINATION* of welfare/TANF, the EITC, and multiple other benefits to pay for a benefit ranging from 250USD/mth to 1250/mth available to *parents only*.

I remember you saying you wish there was a way for wealthy people to opt out of Yang's UBI, which I conceded was a fair point, and I'm sure you like Romney's suggestion that wealthy parents who don't need their checks can just *return* their money to the gov by tax day (tho personally, I don't think as many wealthy people would do this as ppl think lol). But if you're talking abt the choice thing you guys hate i.e. Yang's suggestion that folks currently on TANF etc *choose* whether they want to stay on it or go on UBI, that is categorically different than Romney dismantling such programs for funds to pay for his benefit.

Nah. One proposal targets the most capitalized coroporations on the planet (eg. big tech, financial transactions) and high-earners for *new sources of revenue* to pay for it's benefit, the other proposal *redirects funds* from current welfare programs and tax credits for revenue with the explicit aim of cancelling them. Saving programs money isn't the same as eliminating them. Romney's plan is the actual plan you guys (mistakenly) thought Yang's plan was lol come on