Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWith all do respect, GTFOHWTBS
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13420817&mesg_id=13420984
13420984, With all do respect, GTFOHWTBS
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-20-21 11:48 AM
>>Like Southern Men and Women use it all the time without all
>>this baggage.
>
>just because they think it doesn't carry any baggage doesn't
>mean that it's ok. as a fellow southerner, i hear it a lot
>and i hate it more and more

Why do you hate it?

>
>>
>>Reminds me of this girl I know who got into trouble at her
>>progressive workplace because she used the term "guys" in a
>>meeting to refer to everyone. She was a Mexican girl from
>not
>>a great school or area and she was being lectured by her
>more
>>privileged co-workers for using language that everyone from
>>where she is from, used.
>>
>>
>>I wonder who is suppose to change for who.
>
>everyone is supposed to change for everyone else. i believe
>the goal is to work towards not referring to people by their
>gender or sex since it is often viewed as their defining
>characteristic, especially in traditionally conservative and
>patriarchal areas like the mid- and deep south. i had to work
>a bit to stop saying "guys" and shift to the all-inclusive
>"y'all." i'm working on "they" as a replacement for "he/she"
>but that one is really hard to shed

I just think this is so ridiculously wrong. This is the equivalent of saying "I don't see color" which was thought to be a progressive stance 30 years ago until people realize that if you have to ignore a trait in order to accept it, then there is an underlying issue not being address which is the real problem.

I believe you should be able to acknowledge, recognize and appreciate someone's gender or sex and do so without discriminating towards them and making them feel included. If I join a call with three women and I say "good afternoon ladies" and none of them are offended or bothered by it, who are you or any other person to say that greeting is inappropriate?

You are doing all this work to change the language you use but let me ask you this, can you explain to me why I shouldn't refer to a woman as she if she prefers to be referred to as "she" and would not want to be referred to as "they"?

>btw your post is the definition of conservatism. you get
>older, more out of touch, and falsely assume that ideologies
>of your youth should be how people should approach those same
>concepts concurrently. it's been fascinating to watch a lot
>of you gen x males on this board buck against progressive
>efforts for no other reason than it not being the way it was
>when you were younger

BTW, your post is the definition of condescending fake deepness. You describe me as out of touch but by FAR most people don't see an issue with referring to people by their gender or sex when it is appropriate. It is out of touch with most people to think that using he or she is offensive or inappropriate.

I wouldn't describe myself as progressive or conservative because I believe if your entire politics can be summed up with one word, you aren't thinking hard enough or reading enough about the hard complicated topics that neither end of the ideological spectrum has figured out entirely.

I will say that the older I get the more skeptical I get on a lot of progressive quick-fix ideas that try to solve complex topics with changes in language. "females", "he/she" or other quick word fixes aren't the problem, but the language is often used to condescend towards others to feel superior.

I guess I am old enough to see people label progressive screw over black and brown people just as easily as people labeled conservative but do it using the right language so it doesn't optically look as bad.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"