Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectKrush Groove
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13415782
13415782, Krush Groove
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-08-20 09:55 AM
I watched again last night and a few things I didn’t realize.

never knew that was Andre Harell was in it.

Never knew Russell was actually the show promoter

Run really was wilding out and a star in that movie. Damn Run DMC was so dope. I knew this but just seeing them perform their early material was inspiring. I want to make a Run DMC type EP. Those drums were crazy.

Sheila E was old af and had no business being in that movie. I see why Russ was mad. Holly Rock was garbage. Her little Prince impression was hilarious but that was all Prince... can’t see any other reason she ended up with that role.

I wonder if Kool Moe Dee and LL had beef on set. He definitely stole the movie with his performance. I remember everyone wondering who he was when he said Box. The reaction was hilarious after JMJ was about to pull the strap on him for busting in the room. RIP JMJ.

The ending of the movie was terrible. Russ and Run get beat down, laugh about it and pay the money back and thats that.

Whoever those girls were who sang the Fat Boys hook made it sound so sexy.. lol. They were a fun group.

13415789, here I lay all alone....tossin turnin
Posted by CherNic, Tue Dec-08-20 10:27 AM
never seen the film
13415797, how sway?
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-08-20 11:14 AM
13415810, not interested
Posted by CherNic, Tue Dec-08-20 11:56 AM
13415826, Lol. That's a good answer to a lot of things tbh
Posted by Bambino Grande, Tue Dec-08-20 12:56 PM
RE: not interested>
13415829, Log off fam.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Dec-08-20 01:09 PM
13415833, the fuck you in here for?? lmao
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-08-20 01:39 PM
13415848, Tender Love duh
Posted by CherNic, Tue Dec-08-20 01:56 PM
13415798, A great terrible film
Posted by handle, Tue Dec-08-20 11:24 AM
Full Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ5nNvxQ-t8

From the very opening seconds the Krush Groove theme "Kold Crush" was fucking dope. Daftpubk and/or Breakbot could release it today with a very slight remix and it's be a hit. Here's the full single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HDd1ZT69GY

Then RUN DMC do king of rock!

Then Fat Boys rap King Of Rock while walking around.

Sheild A is way out of her element - but still dope.

Rick Rubin looking like a young Dan Harmon.

Sheila E rapping for Run DMC.

Kurtis Blow doing a weird ass version of If I ruled The World in a leather tuxedo.

Run DMC do Hard Times.

LL does Radio in a blue Kango.

New Edition do My Secret.

Fat Boys rap All You Can Eat in a Furr's cafeteria.

The Beasties are in there doing She's On It.

Then they ALL do Krush Groovin'.

13415813, The LL scene is one of the all-time great film entrances
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Dec-08-20 11:59 AM

In those minute of 15 seconds, you could tell he was going to be a star. And "BOX!" is still iconic.

>The reaction was
>hilarious after JMJ was about to pull the strap on him for
>busting in the room. RIP JMJ.

I crack up every time I see that.
13415836, he stole the whole movie with that scene
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-08-20 01:40 PM
13415852, DMC is my GOAT...
Posted by Trinity444, Tue Dec-08-20 02:16 PM
nobody’s been that cool since lol
13415858, Damn
Posted by Lurkmode, Tue Dec-08-20 03:03 PM
You didn't recognize Russell ?
13415906, when the movie came out I had know idea what Russell looked like
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Dec-09-20 08:16 AM
13415860, Kurtis Blow had heart transplant surgery
Posted by Lurkmode, Tue Dec-08-20 03:08 PM
I didn't know he had a heart attack back in 2016.

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.59408/title.hip-hop-forefather-kurtis-blow-undergoes-massive-heart-transplant-surgery

HIP HOP FOREFATHER KURTIS BLOW UNDERGOES MASSIVE HEART TRANSPLANT SURGERY

Published on: Dec 7, 2020, 12:38 PM
by Kyle Eustice

EXCLUSIVE – Kurtis Blow suffered a major heart attack outside of his Los Angeles home in 2016 and has been in and out of the hospital ever since. But with his most recent surgery, the Hip Hop pioneer and ordained minister could finally have a more permanent solution to his cardiac ailments.

On Sunday (December 6), Blow underwent a heart transplant surgery in Los Angeles and according to his wife of four decades Shirley Walker, the procedure was a success. The Washington Informer obtained a statement from Walker on Monday (December 7) which stated, “We give all glory to God for the perfect heart and transplant. He is out of surgery. Keep the prayers and praises up. God does all things well.”

In another statement Van Silk sent to HipHopDX, Walker was extremely positive, saying, “Kurtis is doing great. The tubes have been removed and he’s breathing on his own. AMAZING GRACE. He is very happy. They have him on high dose of pain meds so sometimes he’s not coherent. Overall, everything is as expected other than he looks better than he apparently should. Everyone that has come commented on how well he looks.”

Blow, whose 1980 single “The Breaks” is a bona fide Hip Hop classic, nearly met his maker in March when his spleen ruptured. In an Instagram post, he revealed he owed his wife a debt of gratitude for saving his life.

“The Covid 19 virus is crazy but last week I had another emergency surgery,” he explained in the post. “My spleen was bleeding into my stomach. I went to the ER just in time because my wife made me go. I wanted to go in the morning. The surgeon said I was lucky to make it in time. They took out my spleen and saved my life. My spleen had splattered and I was bleeding internally.”

KURTIS BLOW'S WIFE REVEALS HE NEEDS EMERGENCY OPEN HEART SURGERY
MAY 7, 2019

The “Christmas Rappin'” legend faced another harrowing situation in May 2019 when his aortic artery dissected, requiring emergency open heart surgery. He’d just underwent a surgery to fix it the month before but evidently had complications.

“I am in the hospital at UCLA Medical,” he explained prior to the dissection. “I am preparing for an aortic artery repair procedure tomorrow morning. The procedure will stabilize the artery from further damage caused by the hematoma I contacted from my recent travels to China.”

In the wake of Blow’s medical emergencies, the 61-year-old MC joked he was a “cat with nine lives” and it’s beginning to look like that really is the case. HipHopDX sends our support to Blow and his loved ones.

13415908, LOL ...Sheila was in her mid 20s and fine AF in that film.
Posted by Airbreed, Wed Dec-09-20 08:44 AM
>Sheila E was old af and had no business being in that movie. I
>see why Russ was mad.

get outta here with alladat. lol

>Holly Rock was garbage. Her little
>Prince impression was hilarious but that was all Prince...
>can’t see any other reason she ended up with that role.

As for her getting the role, that was all Warner Bros. They were distributing the film. And they wanted a love interest in the story. And since Shelia was recording for WB at the time, it made sense to them to bring her in.

And Holly Rock was a song she did off the rip for KG.

She did quit at some point during filming because all the rappers in the film had a problem with her being in it and she felt a way about it.

She talked about it with Sway a few years ago.

Link: https://youtu.be/qXLoAlG8h0k?t=352

13416015, Holly Rock was trash
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-10-20 08:47 AM
and she was Beyonce 20’s in that film

which means in real years she was mid 30’s
13415927, tha fuck her age have to do with anything?
Posted by Damali, Wed Dec-09-20 11:18 AM
you cant even just legitimately criticize something without being a sexist dickhead.

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13416014, please...
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-10-20 08:45 AM
shut the fuck up

thank you
13416066, you first.
Posted by Damali, Thu Dec-10-20 12:30 PM

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13416068, Your both wrong :)
Posted by handle, Thu Dec-10-20 01:14 PM
She was older than the others.

Krush Groove was released in 1985 - so let's just say it was filming on 1/1/1985.

Sheila E was 28. She's the oldest lead musician in the film.

28 is mad young now - but if you saw the film when you were 15 it seems old.

Other ages:
Mr. Magic was 29.
Rush was 28.
Kurtis Blow was 26.
Rick was 22.
DMC and MCA and Run were 21.
Mike D and JMJ were 20.
Buffy was 18.
Prince Markee Dee was 17.
LL would have been 17.
Bobby Brown was 16.

But Legs is mad sexist :)
13416074, .
Posted by Airbreed, Thu Dec-10-20 02:38 PM

13416078, I’m not just speaking on age
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-10-20 03:20 PM
i mean.. she did look old af next to most of them but her style and sound was just...

old and dated

this was a new energy type film with hip hop starting to get some shine and she was out of place
13416098, Man, some folks just wake up mad at the world. Let'em have it.
Posted by Case_One, Thu Dec-10-20 04:40 PM

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

The Case for Christ Lecture: https://youtu.be/67uj2qvQi_k

Good News: https://www.goodnewsnetwork
13416412, Mostly true, but her age is written into the script
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Dec-11-20 11:39 PM
At least this was my interpretation of her telling Run he was like a little brother at the club. I thought that was an acknowledgement of the age difference.

I agree that her sound was mad out-of-place, but I also thought that made sense, considering she was a singer who was against rap and only picked it up because she was urged to in the film. Rap was an element she added to what she was already doing. That's usually how it looks when an older person tries to do what the kids are doing lol.

13416136, stop making excuses for his bullshit
Posted by Damali, Thu Dec-10-20 08:27 PM
her age is irrelevant and him singling her out to comment on that she too old to be in the film is sexist. period

he didn't talk about anyone's age but hers. so all that shit you typing about other people's ages has nothing to do with what he wrote

d

13416142, she was the only non rapping old ass looking muhhfukka in the movie
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-10-20 08:54 PM
stay mad
13416440, Music industry was very ageist (?) at that time.
Posted by flipnile, Sat Dec-12-20 07:43 AM
28 was quite old back then. Wasn't just with women. I remember Big Daddy Kane being "old AF" when 'Daddy's Home' came out in 94 when he was 26.

Only in the last 10-15 years that age has become less of a factor in hip hop. I wonder if it's because of the mature audience (people in their 30s, 40s and 50s that listen to hip hop) that didn't really exist in the 80s and 90s.
13416167, Krush Groove is Oscar caliber next to Tougher Than Leather
Posted by rdhull, Thu Dec-10-20 11:26 PM
13416424, might as well add Disorderlies to that list to complete the trash trifecta
Posted by LAbeathustla, Sat Dec-12-20 02:13 AM
Krush Groove is legendary bcz we thirsted for anything hip hop at that moment in time. But lets keep it a buck, all those movies were garbage.
13416470, the shootout scene in TTL...
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Dec-12-20 12:41 PM
might be one of the worst recordings of any kind, ever.
13416168, Krush Groove is Oscar caliber next to Tougher Than Leather
Posted by rdhull, Thu Dec-10-20 11:26 PM