Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBIM is now. I've been using BIM software for the past 8 years on my residential
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13415761&mesg_id=13418703
13418703, BIM is now. I've been using BIM software for the past 8 years on my residential
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jan-05-21 04:06 PM
projects (private side business) and the majority of the projects on my day job have a dedicated BIM specification and requirement for implementation in the design process and we're moving towards the GC's that are awarded the final construction contract to also have a dedicated BIM team through the construction phase.

BIM reminds me of the transition from pencil & paper design to CAD...it took DECADES before CAD became the norm.... and we're only at the tip of BIM becoming the norm...

For instance...when I interned with a small firm in college (1995 - 1999) the owner was super ANTI CAD....like...he'd get angry for even mentioning it. So I spent the majority of my time there doing drawings on velum with pencil & inking with rapidographs and then running blueprints...this was already considered to be a somewhat "old school" work flow even in the late 90s'.... mind you..I'd learned AutoCAD in HIGH SCHOOL...so it was kinda weird reverting back to drawing by hand...but I'm glad I did...
Fast Forward to early 2000's and there were STILL major firms that only used AutoCAD as a "tool" in the process but not the primary way to execute a project.... Autodesk was already experimenting with parametric in their software and Revit was a small startup....
Fast Forward again....Autodesk buys Revit and starts ramping up BIM workflow along with a lot of other companies in the mix and forming what BIM is and should be......
Meanwhile...there are a LOT of firms JUST NOW...learning what BIM even is...

So with that said...if you're interested in BIM...now is the time to get on board....

It's still very rare in residential design though.... I think there's a TON of potential on the residential side...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"