Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI hear ya.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13414077&mesg_id=13414136
13414136, I hear ya.
Posted by kfine, Wed Nov-18-20 01:55 PM

And definitely understand and respect fatigue re: depictions of slavery.

I'm actually not super crazy about the continued anchoring of Black experiences on film to that trauma either; it's never ever easy to watch.

And there is also a significant degree of violence, especially gender-based and sexual violence, in this film.

So anybody unable to stomach a film depicting such scenes, I totally get their aversion.

That said, at least for me, the discomfort actually helped drive the deeper lessons from the film home, imho. Makes you appreciate how Horror as a genre is kinda uniquely positioned to deliver racial justice commentary.

Because white supremacy IS scary. AF! Even the most subtle micro-agressions that so many of us can relate to. Whether man-to-man, man-to-woman, woman-to-woman, ALL that shit. Fucking chills to the bone.

And it being an anachronism only makes it SCARIER. Like, literally the same words, tactics, structures, even families/people in some cases. Just ugh.

But ya. Whether you decide to check for it or not, JM did you proud don't worry. Tbh, I think it's her casting that made me finally decide to watch and see for myself despite the reviews. Bc we know how serious she is when it comes to making art, so I at least knew/trusted she wouldn't sign up for some nonsense.

>Read a couple reviews and excitement waned. Pandemic + price
>didn't help.
>
>I'm not a huge movie buff though...it takes a lot to get me to
>see a film, and idk how many more slavery movies I want to sit
>through
>
>