Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI lost faith when I realized we have a long way to go.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13413961&mesg_id=13424309
13424309, I lost faith when I realized we have a long way to go.
Posted by double negative, Wed Feb-17-21 09:57 AM
i only view bitcoin as a form of digital gold. besides the transaction fees, it's pretty fucking bad for the environment (mining, servers, heat management, power consumption). Paper money - at least in the US BEFORE we started wearing lyrca infused denim was made with recycled denim (thus, "rags to riches" )

crypto also has no user-friendly safety systems in place. it's like a world with guns without safetys and cars without brakes.

the bank of america website obscures your account and routing numbers. yet, with crypto, you can look into and adjust every parameter. the average user doesnt need to know about block height, decimals, proof of work, nodes, SHA-256, etc. Physical money, you can touch. It has a smell, it has a sound.

I only kind of know what I'm doing - when I'm moving large sums around I test a small sum first to be sure its going to the right place before I commit to moving the rest. If you fuck up, there is no customer service, it's just gone forever.

The distrubuted ledger however...now that is pretty amazing stuff.

I don't think it's over for crypto. I think we have a while to go. I think bitcoin will never go away, it will retain lots of value but it will retain value because it has value - not because it delivers a promise.