Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLooks like crypto is warming up again?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13413961
13413961, Looks like crypto is warming up again?
Posted by double negative, Mon Nov-16-20 04:09 PM
I had to go crack open my nano to remember what I've been sitting on.

Im wondering if I should dump this BTC now or just let it roll and I'm leaning towards letting that shit roll, the initial "investment" was pulled long ago.

No need to lose your ass over speculation, but if you got em'...

*blows on dice*

*hikes up pants*

*assumes position*

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/e2/df/a2e2dfecf2fa839016ff8bc58c066d64.jpg

DADDY NEED DUCATS
13413965, RE: Looks like crypto is warming up again?
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Nov-16-20 04:45 PM
>I had to go crack open my nano to remember what I've been
>sitting on.
>
>Im wondering if I should dump this BTC now or just let it roll
>and I'm leaning towards letting that shit roll, the initial
>"investment" was pulled long ago.
>
>No need to lose your ass over speculation, but if you got
>em'...
>
>*blows on dice*
>
>*hikes up pants*
>
>*assumes position*
>
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/e2/df/a2e2dfecf2fa839016ff8bc58c066d64.jpg
>
>
>DADDY NEED DUCATS

If you're playing with house $, play it how you feel.
13418385, 32k (Coindesk Swipe)
Posted by stankpalmer, Sat Jan-02-21 01:51 PM
https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-hits-30k-for-1st-time-ever

The price of bitcoin (BTC) surged past $32,000 for the first time ever Saturday morning, hours after slicing through $30,000 like a light saber through tissue, a blistering start to the year following a record-setting 2020.

Once the price of the leading cryptocurrency crossed the $30,000.00 mark for the first time, something it had struggled to do for the last couple of days, it exploded upwards like a ball released under water, hitting a new all-time high of $32,965.95, before falling back to $32,511.29, up 11.81% in the last 24 hours.

The performance comes after a year in which the cryptocurrency rose more than 300% in 2020, with an almost 50% gain just in December, sort of like a boulder gaining speed downhill, only in the opposite direction.

For those who prefer dollar figures to percentages: On Nov. 30, bitcoin breeched a nearly three-year-old high of $19,793. By the close of Dec. 31, the cryptocurrency had risen about $10,000. For the visually inclined, see the chart below.

"Bitcoin makes TSLA (Tesla) look like it is standing still," tweeted Jim Bianco, well-known macro strategist, shortly after the the cryptocurrency broke $30,000.

And of course the market value of bitcoin jumped as well, leaving many of the most well-known companies in the world in its wake. With a market value of just over $600 billion, BTC is now more valuable than all but nine publicly traded companies, sitting between Alibaba at $648.3 billion and Berkshire Hathaway at $543.7 billion.

Bitcoin enthusiasts will likely find some joy in having passed Berkshire, an event that occurred last week, as the company's CEO, legendary investor Warren Buffett, once famously derided bitcoin as "probably rat poison squared."

Propelling the record-setting run is a growing narrative that bitcoin represents a form of "digital gold," along with a flood of institutional investors (probably not Buffett) into the cryptocurrency: Among them: Anthony Scaramucci’s Skybridge Capital ($182 million in December); MassMutual ($100 million in December); and Guggenheim (up to 10% of its $5 billion macro fund).

This is borne out by that the number of whale entities – clusters of crypto wallet addresses held by a single network participant holding at least 1,000 bitcoin – rose to a new record high of 1,994 this past Wednesday.

The metric increased by over 16% in 2020 and 7.3% in Q4 alone.

“The final land grab has started, and by this time next year, accumulating >1,000 Bitcoin will be nearly impossible for most people,” Jehan Chu, CEO at Hong Kong-based trading firm Keneti Capital, told CoinDesk.

HODLers also have the U.S. Federal Reserve to thank for bitcoin's rise, as it, along with other central banks, has been printing money with abandon, trying to stave off the worst economic effects of the pandemic. Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump has been pushing Congress to issue larger stimulus checks. These actions are viewed by many as potential catalysts for inflation and bad for the U.S. dollar, both of which could be positive for BTC.

To be sure, not all the late gains in 2020 may have been due to a fear of missing out or to hedge against a deteriorating dollar. With the end of the year looming, some fund managers may also have bought BTC so they can brag in this year's fund literature about having been smart enough to get in in 2020 while neglecting to say at which price they had done so.
13418387, My $300 from May is now at $1400...
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Jan-02-21 02:30 PM
wonder if I should get off at this stop, as this is the best it’s gonna get. I’m certainly no expert. Just threw a few bucks in, on the advice of a friend.
13418410, i personally would take out 500 and leave the rest in
Posted by Damali, Sun Jan-03-21 10:40 AM
that way, you've realized a true profit from your initial investment and can afford to 'play' with the rest.

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13418413, yeah, yeah...literally play around with house money....
Posted by Dstl1, Sun Jan-03-21 11:52 AM
and still walk away with some profit. Good lookin.
13418420, Word. good luck and let us know how it goes
Posted by Damali, Sun Jan-03-21 02:01 PM

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13418426, Remember the tax man.
Posted by Nopayne, Sun Jan-03-21 03:23 PM
The IRS is going to want its cut as well.
13418525, right on
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jan-04-21 01:58 PM
13418455, i would
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Mon Jan-04-21 08:52 AM
not be selling any btc, if anything buying the dips
13418412, Been researching and trading crypto all 2020.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Sun Jan-03-21 11:13 AM
Been on and off since 2017

We entered the phase where people take profits from bitcoin and pour it into the other macro cap cryptos (eth, litecoin, chainlink.)

Dont get caught in the euphoria. Bitcoin just did crazy numbers and the more seasoned crypto traders aren't repeating the same mistakes as 2017 (riding the investment down to zero). They selling and moving.

The ethereum train about to leave.
13418414, i don't find this to be good analysis for one main reason:
Posted by Damali, Sun Jan-03-21 12:21 PM
bitcoin was considered a joke/fad/not viable etc etc in 2017...so the relationship investors and the general public had to it was different

also, microinvesting wasn't as popular then as it is now...whereas so many more people putting 100, 1000 or even just 25 on bitcoin (and stocks) at a scale we hadn't seen before

now you got sports stars asking for (and getting) some of their pay in bitcoin and the rich buying it in large quantities...

as a result, you really can't use 2017 as a means to evaluate bitcoin investing now

d

13418422, Everything moves in cycles.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Sun Jan-03-21 03:13 PM
Ethereum is outperforming bitcoin as we speak.

Bitcoin runs first, everyone fomos in, eth runs next.

Profits from bitcoin will continue to trickle down smaller coins.

Bitcoin serves as the gateway currency. A great store of value for the big dogs, but the average person feels priced out and will look for the next big thing

Bitcoin will be held up by large investors this time, so i doubt there'll be a crash like '18.

Add the imminent collapse of the US dollar.

This time will be different, true, but there's key factors that are bound to repeat.

13418577, cool. agreed
Posted by Damali, Mon Jan-04-21 10:47 PM

13418432, no athlete is getting paid in bitcoin
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Jan-03-21 05:19 PM
that football player is lying, he gets paid in cash and he has an endorsement deal to convert it into cryptocurrency.

take from that what you will.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13418576, ah thanks for clarifying.
Posted by Damali, Mon Jan-04-21 10:47 PM

13418444, OK.. Cool
Posted by Case_One, Sun Jan-03-21 09:43 PM
I'm not a heavy investor in Bitcoin, I have a few hundred in the game, and I'm doing ok. It will do what it does. Folks better take some profit before it drops again.

Life is Good.
13418450, <--- Day one dogecoin investor that missed out on $1.5 million profit...
Posted by Kira, Mon Jan-04-21 05:00 AM
Also trade forex but back to topic.

Secure a hardware wallet like ledger, trezor etc first.

Then go on changelly (insert credible exchange that lets you buy crypto in usd

Spend $50 to $1000 on every coin below 0.01.

My goal is 5 to 25 million of each coin wigh a bare minimum 500K coin balance.

The more millions you stack the least likely you are to need these coins to reach $1 value.

Look into defi and erc20 associated crypto...
13418570, inbox
Posted by mikediggz, Mon Jan-04-21 09:41 PM
13418456, Why is it going up in value?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Jan-04-21 09:07 AM
13418457, scarcity, institutions, covid, distrust of govt
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Mon Jan-04-21 09:13 AM
$600 checks, cripple by tanking the usd value, new wealth
13418459, the answers given are the same answers given the last time it went up
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jan-04-21 09:40 AM
idk

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13418460, I don’t invest in anything I don’t understand
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jan-04-21 09:53 AM
I guess its like gold and silver.. but its digital?

mining for digital currency?

and there are only so many of them?

13418466, Nobody knows, but it's provocative!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Jan-04-21 10:10 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13418565, More than likely banks and whales are jacking it up
Posted by Musa, Mon Jan-04-21 08:45 PM
this is a pattern at end of year but big banks got into it a few years ago and shorted the price to buy more for cheap from my understanding.
13424297, Crypto is becoming a more acceptable alternative investment
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Wed Feb-17-21 08:07 AM
I think most of the recent price move is from institutions becoming more comfortable with investing a portion of their capital. They've studied it for awhile, it's not quite as volatile as it once was, and they need somewhere to put excess cash since interest rates are near zero.

So more institutional investors are getting in by the day and they're bringing in big money (even if it's relatively small percentages when compared to their total portfolio).

So far, this rally has been more driven by them than by the retail investor (unlike 2017).
13418464, A friend of mine is encouraging me to get started with crypto.
Posted by Backbone, Mon Jan-04-21 10:03 AM
Even going so far as to gift me €100,- worth of coins because I'm broke and have no money to play around with.

He recommends using Kraken and and Coincap, which I'm looking up info on right now.

I have no reason to doubt his advice per se, but since he's a bit of a casual (by his own admission), I wonder if any of you nice folks maybe have other starting suggestions (aside from taking it easy)?

Since I'm still getting Wild West vibes from this whole thing I figure it's smart to get input from as many different sources as I can.
13418467, I happened to have a SoFi account and when they introduced Crypto investing
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Jan-04-21 10:14 AM
I figured...why not?
last year around this time I simply put $40 in Bitcoin & $40 in Ethereum.....
339.34% Unrealized Gain in ETH
172.54% Unrealized Gain in BTC

It's been fun to watch....
I DO wish I'd dropped way more than $80 in it back then though....

13418474, RE: I happened to have a SoFi account and when they introduced Crypto investing
Posted by Backbone, Mon Jan-04-21 10:54 AM
>It's been fun to watch....

Yeah I'm thinking of letting half of that 100 sit and try my hand at day trading with the rest. Got plenty of free time atm, should be interesting.

>I DO wish I'd dropped way more than $80 in it back then
>though....

I wish I'd been there at the start, lol. Temptation to invest more is there, but I'm guessing it's not smart to assume these rates are going to continue.
13418513, most people I know personally screaming about bitcoin
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jan-04-21 01:36 PM
aren’t savvy investors.

13418523, Yeah I'm wary in general when it comes to crypto.
Posted by Backbone, Mon Jan-04-21 01:56 PM
But the ideas behind it are pretty cool (even if sustainability already seems to be an issue) and I'm just looking for extra sources of info next to what I already have, before I start playing around with it.
13418569, ...
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Mon Jan-04-21 09:32 PM
>
13424267, Bitcoin passed $50k today
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Feb-16-21 05:54 PM
I still don't understand why (or what Bitcoin is in general), but it keeps going up.

Still seems like a scam to me though. I'm missing out on these gainz

13424268, it keeps flirting with it
Posted by mista k5, Tue Feb-16-21 06:11 PM
keeps hovering right below except for a few spikes.

sunday it had a big dip, i think after another musk tweet lol

overall it does just keep going up. kind of seems like something good to keep throwing money at....until it isnt.
13424271, Scam how? Cause its hyped up?
Posted by Brotha Sun, Tue Feb-16-21 06:29 PM
Evevrything is a scam tbh

Holding a depreciating dollar in a savings account with a less than 1% interest rate is a scam.

You could get 8.5% interest just holding a stablecoin (so you're free from the volatility of bitcoin and other cryptos).

Its worth looking into. Not telling you to go all in, but a couple toes in the water after thorough research wont hurt.
13424296, It seems like high tech beanie babies to me
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Feb-17-21 08:04 AM
It's not a currency. Currencies have stable values. People rarely make real purchases with bitcoin out of fear they'll get ripped off (i.e. the value will quickly rise or fall).

It's not an asset. What do you own if you have a bitcoin?

To me it's a speculative game. People are buying just with the hopes that there will be someone else willing to buy it from them later at a higher price (i.e. beanie babies).

I could end up very wrong. But I'm fine with it. I missed out on beanie babies too
13424300, So treat it like a speculation. I put 1 % of my portfolio in it initially
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Wed Feb-17-21 08:24 AM
That was back in August. I know people trading 10x what I'm doing but I put in an initial amount I wouldn't lose sleep over and I've been buying more each month with my "work lunch" budget. I think it's almost up to 7% of the portfolio now.

My only real dilemma is that I'm usually a very conservative investor so my instinct is to cash out. But I'm really trying to see if this thing has the legs people say it does. I'll be fine without the BTC gains so it's really just icing on the top.
13424301, I'm not a speculator. I'll play craps if I want to gamble
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Feb-17-21 08:47 AM
At least that's fun.

I can't put 1% of my money into something I consider beanie babies lol

13429785, Its all gambling.
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Apr-11-21 12:28 PM
I have “fun money” for crypto.

I’m treating it like gambling.

As long as you have other traditional investments I don’t see the issue with throwing some money at crypto.

I was skeptical back in the day but I was also broke af so I couldn’t risk it back then..

but now I have 401K, Roth, 529, etc.. so why not throw a few dollars at crypto and see what happens in 5 years or so?

scared money dont make money
13424326, I KNOW you're not talking about "speculative" after GameSpotGate
Posted by Brotha Sun, Wed Feb-17-21 11:35 AM
lol Its all speculative! Always has been. None of these things have inherent value. Tesla is a meme and is outperforming Gold.

Even if you dont care for crypto as a speculative asset, the tech itself is pretty amazing. You're going to be using it sooner or later.

Also Bitcoin is over a decade old. Its important as the father of crypto, but there's several projects that took its tech and built something greater.

What developers are doing with Ethereum/De-fi is groundbreaking. I don't care where you put your money, but it wont hurt to research it a little. We in the crib bored anyways.
13424334, And look what happened to the folks who played the Gamestop game
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Feb-17-21 12:01 PM
You're right that it's all speculative. The difference is what you are speculating on.

For tesla, a lot of people are speculating on something real. That Tesla will produce significant cash flows in the future, and as owners of the stock they will get those cash flows. Whether they are right will be seen.

Now there are some true tesla speculators. These are the ones who know it is overvalued, but expect someone later on will be willing to buy off them for a higher price. But still in this case, the price is tied (at least partially) to something real (Tesla's future cash flows).

I can't put the same story together for cryptocurrency. The value driven just by true speculation. That folks believe someone will buy it off them for a higher price. There is nothing else giving it value.

13424336, Have you done any research on crypto.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Wed Feb-17-21 12:11 PM
Or are you still thinking all crypto = bitcoin?

Did you look into the aforementioned projects from #50

There are entire countries using blockchain tech (Korea, Nigeria), dont be that guy who was willfully obtuse in the 90s/2000s and missed out on investing in Microsoft/Amazon/Google.

13424369, Admittedly, bitcoin is the only thing I'm somewhat familiar with
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Feb-17-21 01:02 PM
I assumed all the rest are roughly the same idea.

My skepticism is about blockchain technology. It's the "currencies" I have doubts about.

My main idea is that the only way a cryptocurrency will have long-term value is if it becomes a default, dominant currency. By that, I mean at the same usage/confidence level as the dollar, pound, euro, etc.

The value of a currency is determined by supply and demand. Usually demand comes from usage. I.e. more people need euros to buy things. So that pushes the price of euros up.

If cryptocurrency stays in the world it's currently in, the trading world/ novelty purchase world, then it has no usage value. No demand -> price=0

The technical limits of bitcoin (energy usage, transaction speeds, transaction costs, limited supply, etc) make it even less likely to be a dominant currency, imo.
I don't know about the rest of them
13424272, That's wild. 50K is my sale target
Posted by Nopayne, Tue Feb-16-21 06:32 PM
I think I might let it ride for a while though since I figured it wouldn't get here for a few more years.
13424327, This aged hella fast. Hope you didn't miss that 51k
Posted by Brotha Sun, Wed Feb-17-21 11:36 AM
13424936, Decided to hold.
Posted by Nopayne, Tue Feb-23-21 01:25 PM
I don't need the cash so it'll be fun to see when the next peak is.
13424295, I don’t understand it either but I’m jumping in.
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-17-21 07:58 AM
13424279, I encourage everyone to get into bitcoin before the banks/corporations do
Posted by Mafamaticks, Tue Feb-16-21 08:42 PM
Elon bought 1.5 billion worth. Mastercard is making a move to start accepting bitcoin. Start buying now and make them buy their bitcoin from you.

Bitcoin aside, there are other coins that are backing really dope projects. I hit a lick with XRP back when it was pennies on a penny. After that I started really getting into the tech, staying in the loop with crypto Twitter and other parts of the internet, linking up with like minded individuals and learned how to trade.

My portfolio is 6 figures now.

Again, I got lucky with XRP that got my foot in the door. But there are other coins in the defi space that are really undervalued right now. If you have any extra play around money, slow money is better than no money.

13424281, I had cashed out about 2 years ago but I’m back in.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Feb-16-21 10:27 PM
Anyone cautious or timid about it all should join Coinbase (referral lanks on deck). They have videos to watch and learn and also earn free crypto.
13424290, Its so sad to see what cryptocurrency has turned into.
Posted by allStah, Wed Feb-17-21 03:08 AM
It’s totally opposite of what it was designed for.One bitcoin transaction cost 10.00 to 20.00, so you know it will never be an everyday cash currency.

When bitcoin got approved for futures a few years ago, I knew it was a wrap. It now
belongs to the whales and big businesses.

Bitcoin is no different than gentrification. Artist go into a run down environment, beautify it , and make it creative and cool, and then the cooperations sweep in and raise the value ,and then kick everyone out.

I remember when coins like ripple and iota first started, with a focus on changing how technology is used. Where is that vision now?

Tronix was supposed to be this decentralized ecosystem and change the internet
as we know it. ...still sitting at 0.05. Years ago it was 0.12.

Once Tether was investigated, I dumped my coins ,making a little profit ,and never looked back.

Now crypto is nothing more than gambling coins making the rich richer, while the lower
Class gets killed by the volatility... and when the bubble truly pops, it’s going to be worse than the internet bubble and mortgage back security crash.

Every tens years..this shit happens like clockwork. Capitalism will get people to FOMO
on anything.

13424298, RE: Its so sad to see what cryptocurrency has turned into.
Posted by Mafamaticks, Wed Feb-17-21 08:09 AM
>It’s totally opposite of what it was designed for.One
>bitcoin transaction cost 10.00 to 20.00, so you know it will
>never be an everyday cash currency.

Blockchain is, can be, and has been used for more than just a replacement for cash currency.

>When bitcoin got approved for futures a few years ago, I knew
>it was a wrap. It now
>belongs to the whales and big businesses.

Attitudes like this are what's going to cause big businesses to own the crypto space. When bitcoin was a 10k, we didn't buy. When it was at 20k, we didn't buy. When COVID hit and it dropped down to 3k, we didn't buy. Now it got up to 50k and corrected back down to around 48. I believe it'll eventually hit 100k. Most corporations still don't believe in crypto and haven't invested yet. That's gonna change in time.

>Bitcoin is no different than gentrification. Artist go into a
>run down environment, beautify it , and make it creative and
>cool, and then the cooperations sweep in and raise the value
>,and then kick everyone out.

This is just wrong. First off, you can't put anybody out of crypto. Either you sell or your don't. Decentralization helps with that. They can't come and do some off the books shit to force you out of selling your share.

>I remember when coins like ripple and iota first started, with
>a focus on changing how technology is used. Where is that
>vision now?

Funny you mention ripple. When XRP hit I remember crypto purists shitting all over it because it didn't have a place in crypto because it was centralized.
>
>Tronix was supposed to be this decentralized ecosystem and
>change the internet
>as we know it. ...still sitting at 0.05. Years ago it was
>0.12.

I don't remember what happened to Tronix, but ETH has a whole ecosystem of decentralized finance applications built on top of it's network. So much so that ETH shot up to $1500 USD. and ETH 2 is right around the corner.
>
>Once Tether was investigated, I dumped my coins ,making a
>little profit ,and never looked back.

Bruh if you left crypto when Tether first got investigated, then you missing out on a lot of stuff. 6 months is an eternity in crypto.

>Now crypto is nothing more than gambling coins making the rich
>richer, while the lower
>Class gets killed by the volatility... and when the bubble truly
>pops, it’s going to be worse than the internet bubble and
>mortgage back security crash.

Thinking crypto is just gambling coins is a misconception. Yeah there are shitcoins where you just roll the dice if you have house money to risk (i don't but some do), but when you learn about the tech, you'll find legit projects that you can invest in. Niggas been saying it's gonna crash for years now. Bitcoin ain't going nowhere. The price will go up or down depending on the demand, but that's like any other investment. If you're gonna let these white folk utilize this as another way to generate income because you think bitcoin sold out, then I don't know what to tell you.

13424322, Bitcoin has already crashed several times.
Posted by allStah, Wed Feb-17-21 11:14 AM
So saying bitcoin will not crash, is not understanding how markets work.

Since it’s inception back in 2009, it has had several crashes, with its biggest
crash dropping from 20,000 to 3,000, and going up and down from there,
until it’s current increase. So there will be a crash. That’s what markets do.

I worked in the stock market for 10 years, and have taken several financial
courses on how markets move, and on how investors invest, and when to
sell and when to buy. Crypto is a market, where prices fluctuate, and just like
all markets there is a top and there is a bottom. There is a fall in price and there
is an increase in price. No market escapes that structure.

One of the main problems with crypto is that you have people investing in it, who don’t
know how markets work. They don’t know anything about price movement,etc
They are just investing thinking that the price will continue to move up, WITH
NO INTERRUPTIONS. And most importantly they don’t understand volatility.

This is not about crypto leaving or staying. This is about the market of crypto, what it is,
and how it moves.

Also, I find it shocking, that in your reply you mentioned nothing about financial movement, market awareness, volatility, or most importantly, RISK ASSESSMENT.
Your reply was more like ‘DON’T MISS OUT.

Hopefully, with your coin investment, you have a solid RISK ASSESSMENT plan.

And me selling my coins years ago was about taking profit off the table, and you’re
never at a loss when you take profit off the table. Never.
13424309, I lost faith when I realized we have a long way to go.
Posted by double negative, Wed Feb-17-21 09:57 AM
i only view bitcoin as a form of digital gold. besides the transaction fees, it's pretty fucking bad for the environment (mining, servers, heat management, power consumption). Paper money - at least in the US BEFORE we started wearing lyrca infused denim was made with recycled denim (thus, "rags to riches" )

crypto also has no user-friendly safety systems in place. it's like a world with guns without safetys and cars without brakes.

the bank of america website obscures your account and routing numbers. yet, with crypto, you can look into and adjust every parameter. the average user doesnt need to know about block height, decimals, proof of work, nodes, SHA-256, etc. Physical money, you can touch. It has a smell, it has a sound.

I only kind of know what I'm doing - when I'm moving large sums around I test a small sum first to be sure its going to the right place before I commit to moving the rest. If you fuck up, there is no customer service, it's just gone forever.

The distrubuted ledger however...now that is pretty amazing stuff.

I don't think it's over for crypto. I think we have a while to go. I think bitcoin will never go away, it will retain lots of value but it will retain value because it has value - not because it delivers a promise.
13424316, I don’t have a problem with being my own personal bank.
Posted by allStah, Wed Feb-17-21 10:29 AM
That is one of the best things about crypto. You can even transfer it
into a paper wallet, and put it in a safe. I have friends that do that.

However, if you screw up, it is gone forever. And there is nothing you can do
about it. As well as if your coins get hacked, good luck with trying to get them
back. I think there is a line around the corner for people still suing Bitconnect.

And like you said there is no tech support, no one you can call. Even crypto exchanges
that get hacked or go through technical issues, you can’t talk to anyone. They could simply run of with your money. And there is shit you could do about it.

The problem is crypto was supposed to be used like everyday money, and it’s not being
used that way. It’s being used more like an investment instrument or everyday stock, but
there is no company behind it.

Crypto is simply an application on a blockchain, with a blockchain being able to have
multiple applications. You’re simply buying and trading an app.

The stock market has crashed several times, and so has crypto. But the stock market
can be halted, and each country has its own market. Crypto is one big global market,
and it can’t be halted. It can crash instantly, and uninterrupted.

When the next crypto crash happens, and it will, it’s going to be vicious. ...People have
no idea what they are getting into or investing in, and how it all works.....they just see numbers going up, and so they FOMO. And they don’t understand financial cycles.

I just tell people don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

13424319, ...
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Feb-17-21 10:44 AM
on several occasions i've purchased items using crypto (stablecoin) via
a mobile app that uses a token as collateral. the cashier has no idea
that i paid with crypto. its an alternative to having up to 12
different entities involved with my transaction (credit/debit cards).
will also be able to make online purchases and pay bills with this
tech, very real world use cases and will lead to heavy adoption in time

>
>The problem is crypto was supposed to be used like everyday
>money, and it’s not being
>used that way. It’s being used more like an investment
>instrument or everyday stock, but
>there is no company behind it.
>
13424328, At 20.00 and 10.00 a transaction
Posted by allStah, Wed Feb-17-21 11:37 AM
Bitcoin is not even close to being used like everyday currency.

And most don’t want use bitcoin because of the value and transaction fees, plus the other big fat elephant in the room: There are only 21 million coins in circulation in a world of 8 billion people.

It is basically a digital gold, with no real value behind it, only computer language.

Hey, a man can money of anything, which is the goal. But RISK ASSESSMENT must always be put in play. Every market has its losers and winners. And there is no market where everyone is winning. So I always preach RISK ASSESSMENT.

13424332, personally
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Feb-17-21 11:52 AM
it should be treated as a store of value for now. btc is the grandad
and eth it is THE gateway into the land of defi, where the tech is
very innovative. i would not "spend" bitcoin unless it gets so high
that it just makes sense to take profits. and even that, the profits
would go into a stablecoin to earn interest that no central bank will
ever be able to compete with.

>
13424358, When you say stable, what’s your perception of a stablecoin?
Posted by allStah, Wed Feb-17-21 12:38 PM
Tether? Paxos? Etc.

If so, okay. That makes sense, but then you have to assume that each
stable coin has a dollar backing it as a standard. We already know Tether
scammed the market a few years ago.

Are you assuming that the entire world will agree on one stable coin, which will
be used by all, hopefully ,eliminating financial institutions?

That means the dollar and all other country currencies will have to be eliminated.
So what will the coins be backed by?

No dollar, no gold. So what standard will this stable coin hold? Word of mouth?

The great thing about metal and diamond is that it creates its own worth.
It is a natural resource, same thing with fossil fuel. So they are used as standards.

13424392, ...
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Feb-17-21 02:28 PM
stablecoin meaning, you're sheltered against market volatility and
supposedly it's pegged 1:1 to the dollar. we know that the US thinks
printing dollars is the solution to everything and without it, this
country is in serious trouble. the world leader faltering. i personally
would take a regulated stablecoin like gemini dollar because it's
meant to be spent plus i like the winklevoss twins. not sure about
tether or paxos.
13424329, Nice
Posted by Brotha Sun, Wed Feb-17-21 11:40 AM
13424321, Whatever the use case for blockchain is, how does btc fit?
Posted by shockvalue, Wed Feb-17-21 11:14 AM
When people discuss being "pro-bitcoin" for other reasons than speculation, they always talk about the practical use case for blockchain tech...everything from secure authentication to free speech protection, and all those things sound great and one can see the potential for blockchain in those areas.

But whatever the use cases for blockchain eventually are, why would the bitcoin protocol in particular stand a great chance of being any part of them?

This is what I don't understand about any kind of longterm bull case for btc.

The bitcoin blockchain protocol to my knowledge cannot be optimized in infinite ways. This alone makes it very likely to be surpassed.

I'm no expert. Maybe I'm way off base here.

13424325, I think the all-ecompassing digital currency use case is weak
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Wed Feb-17-21 11:34 AM
From what I understand, the protocol can't efficiently handle that level of use. And even if it could, increasing use would likely drive the price down bc nobody wants to be the guy that bought a pizza for 2 BTC years ago (equivalent of $100k now).

The store of value/"eGold" use case is more relevant. It doesn't have the physical utility or intrinsic value of gold but the blockchain technology ensures that BTC can reliably change hands between people, at whatever price the BTC market feels it's worth. I think people will always find value in that and BTC will be the agreed upon form for crypto-wealth.

The other cryptocurrencies will likely have more direct day to day applications, but I'm not as confident as to how that influences the price of the cryptocurrency.

But still, I have some money in ETH because they're doing interesting things with it in terms of decentralized finance that make the speculation more interesting.
13424330, The people saying that just bought in early.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Wed Feb-17-21 11:42 AM
Most bitcoin evangelists dont really care about the tech, they just know the number goes up.

Bitcoin is ultimately too slow, and too expensive to really be adopted by the masses.

But the number does go up.
13424906, and down
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Feb-23-21 09:50 AM
its so damn volatile
13424910, oh no went down to the price it was 2 weeks ago its over.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Tue Feb-23-21 10:17 AM
13424339, You’re not way off base.
Posted by allStah, Wed Feb-17-21 12:17 PM
You’re asking the right questions. Most don’t even know what the blockchain is
or what it does. Most don’t even know what bitcoin is. They just know they can buy
it or sell it.

Bitcoin price is high because it is seen as a limited commodity. There is a high
demand for a commodity that has a limited supply, and that is what drives the
price up. People are doing any and everything to try to buy bitcoin as it increases.
A limited application is simply in high demand on the blockchain.

Blockchain is a great technology and it is here to stay. It’s ability to infinitely keep
records and infinitely run applications are it’s true ultimate definition, and it will soon
be adopted by all businesses

Will bitcoin infinitely exists or is there an end game?

That is the question. Everything is speculation at this point. But with its limited coin supply, high transaction fees, and it’s lack of scalability, it has too much of a ceiling.

Either it will continue be treated as digital gold, and move based on
what the market thinks it is worth, or it will simply be replaced by another
application. Because, at the end of the day, it’s just an application
on the blockchain with limited supply that’s in high demand.

13424405, Motley Fool just announced a 5 million dollar investment in BTC.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Wed Feb-17-21 03:48 PM
13424905, cold as ice
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Feb-23-21 09:48 AM
I’m still having a hard time training myself to buy when the market is red af

but is now the time?
13424908, Right as I'm typing this, yes.
Posted by dillinjah, Tue Feb-23-21 09:58 AM
>I’m still having a hard time training myself to buy when
>the market is red af
>
>but is now the time?
13424911, yessirr. its all psychological.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Tue Feb-23-21 10:22 AM
Best thing to do is look at weekly/monthly charts and how it performed in previous years.

There were people who sold at 3k in march. dont be them.
13425009, This is terrible financial information.
Posted by allStah, Tue Feb-23-21 04:33 PM
It’s never bad to take profit off the table. So people who sold at 3,000, and it was profit,
was greater than when Bitcoin was 300.00.

There will always be a higher price point, no matter what the price is.
Just like if people sell now, and make a profit, bitcoin could go higher and that
will be a new price point, and so and so on.

They key is to ALWAYS make a profit. That’s why you sell HIGH and buy LOW.
This is actually a sellers market and not a buyers market. Never buy at an ALL TIME HIGH, and bitcoin is at an ATH.

Buy when there is “blood in the street” and sell when the “leaves turn
green.”
13425149, noone said dont take profits.
Posted by Brotha Sun, Wed Feb-24-21 02:54 PM
but the people who got in late and freak out as soon as they see a red candle? just hold and came back later.
13425012, Whatever you do.
Posted by allStah, Tue Feb-23-21 04:55 PM
Make sure you research, especially the price ranges.

What is Bitcoin All time Low and All time high in the past 3 years?

This is how successful traders trade, calculating probability.

Bitcoin’s range for that time period is 3,000 - 50,000. Now what’s tricky
is cryptocurrency moves 24 hours, unlike the stock market. So there is constant
movement throughout the day.

You want to get in at the lowest amount possible giving yourself a chance to
profit. Bitcoin can either continue to go up and up , yo-yo, or reverse hard. We don’t now. AND THAT IS THE KEY TO TRADING. There is no guarantee of anything.
No action is written in stone.

Since we know bitcoin has touched 20.000.00 multiple times over the years, that
could be used as a floor in this current market. Do not use the current price as a floor.
So if YOu MUSt BUY right now, I would try to get in around 30,000-35,000. That would
be somewhere in the middle of 20,000- 50,000.

Also, we already know that Bitcoin has reversed hard several times over the years,
so the probability of a hard reversal in the future is pretty high. You could wait until then.
I would. That’s what the big wigs do. They cash out at the top, and then buy back in
at the bottom.

Do not let people FOMO you or persuade you because the price is moving fast. That’s
what markets do. They move up and down. It’s your job to catch the right movement.
There will always be high prices and always be low prices....

In the words of Warren Buffett, patient people make money of impatient people
in trading.

13424970, Ravencoin is pumping
Posted by Kira, Tue Feb-23-21 02:54 PM
Which makes me feel so good.
13425140, So Bitcoin crashes from 58,000 to 49,000
Posted by allStah, Wed Feb-24-21 02:17 PM
Had you bought in at the ATH, which people were doing, you would have lost
10,000 just like that. This is why you never buy at an all time high.

How did Bitcoin inflate? Big wigs were inflating it.

After Elon Musk made his bitcoin investment everyone followed , and inflated the price
to 58,000. He then went on to say that Bitcoin was overvalued and no different than Fiat.....and immediately plummeted

Did you see what this man just did to steal cash from you?

He made you think that something was valuable and worthless in a short time span.

So now that he has made a billion dollars...He dumped it, and will go back in at a
lower price. And start the cycle over again.

“To put this in perspective, Tesla is on a path to make more of its investments in Bitcoin than the proceeds from the sale of its electric vehicles in all of 2020,"

Understand trading and and understanding how markets are manipulated.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/365892

13425152, meh, someone is always going to get burned chasing stocks
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-24-21 03:33 PM
best bet is diversity.

I threw a few coins at Crytpo before Elon copped and I made a fee dollars.. them lost all my gains this week.

but I will continue to throw more at it because I think in the long run you will come out on tope of you arent a day trader.

I’m still learning and training my mind to buy when I see red... lol
13425156, im playing with pennies at this point
Posted by mista k5, Wed Feb-24-21 03:54 PM
before it went on this big rise (and fall) i had made a few buys. the bulk back in like oct/nov when it was at like 18k. then some more in january when it was at like at 30k.

got 130% return and sold the gains when it hit 52k (bitcoin value not my actual dollar amount lol). so that left me with my original usd amount still in it

i bought a little back at like 49k. going to wait and see what it does. either way i already more than made my money back. if it stays flat ill probably buy back in in a few days. if it keeps bouncing as it is then i will wait to see where it goes in a few weeks.

so i missed selling at the absolute high and bought back a little above the recent bottom. im okay with both.

my coworker keeps talking about stocks, a couple weeks back he told me one was about to shoot up. looked into it a bit and decided whatever ill buy one share. its done nothing but lose lol. dude keeps telling me hes making thousands of dollars, havent asked him how much of his money its taken him to get that though.

im at 120% return overall on my pennies so ill just keep slowly getting more into it.
13429687, Invested in Bittorrent
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-09-21 08:37 PM
and threw a few dollars at:

Stellar
VeChain
Nervos
Storm

we will see what happens but my hope is eventually Bittorrent hits $1 in a few years. If it hits $10.. I’m a millionaire.

with a trillion bittorrent coins it prolly wont happen unless they burn some coins but fuck it.. I’m willing to risk a few hundred.

13429704, around turkey day 2017 i bought $150 worth of bitcoin
Posted by Binlahab, Sat Apr-10-21 07:33 AM
the hype was at full blast.

my family was in town visiting, and we were sitting around drunk and full watching news show after news show talking about bitcoin.

i went ahead and got some...i wanna say it was around 17k at that time.

immediately crashed. i felt like a moron.

forgot about it because my $150 became like $50...asap.

left it there.

since ive added another $300...$25 here and there over the years

so $450 in USD....and its now $2250. and growing.

easily the best investment ive made in...life so far.

now im all in

cashapp for my bitcoin
coinbase for my ethereum, xrp, and litecoin

13429716, Bitcoin is a fucking scam
Posted by handle, Sat Apr-10-21 11:00 AM
The Verge did a podcast on it with a bitcoin backer and a bitcoin detractor. https://www.theverge.com/22367951/bitcoin-future-nic-carter-steve-hanke-interview-decoder-podcast

(BTW, look at the "backers" fucking face. That dude's the poster boy for toxic geek faces.)

The backer keeps using words like "freedom" and "purity."

Remember that in 2009 there were 0 bitcoins. It was produced by some geeks using math - and then a con was started to make people think it has any worth.

There were 1,624,500 easy bit coins mined in 2009 by very few people.
Those are worth today $97,711,725,600.

So they created a "currency??" not backed by anything then gave them selves the fist $100 billion dollars of it.

There's no real way to even SPEND it. And it's sucking up incredible amounts of energy for no reason other than its a good scam.
It's a fucking scam that is going to work for a while.

There's no government backing it. They have no military to enforce it. It's worthless.

Long game for it: And they're going to try to integrate it into the current system so the magic money they created in 2009 becomes exchangeable cheaply with real money.

Edit:If you want to play it like a game and can make some cash - do it. A friend just made $25,000 for no apparent reason. But remember - hold it too long and you'll get likely get burned.
13429717, that’s like saying art isn’t worth anything.. lol
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Apr-10-21 11:14 AM
people have indeed made it worth something.

what makes your house worth something? supply and demand.

Some of these crypto’s will indeed be worthless down the road.

13429730, Art is not CURRENCY
Posted by handle, Sat Apr-10-21 01:36 PM
This is about making a new currency out of thin air - not like art at all.

It's a fucking con-artist scam game.

But if you can hustle some short money out of it then I'm not mad at YOU. But these guys who have millions of the first bitcoins are fucking you all.

And fucking me by proxy because the investment firms are buying into it.
13429740, they're making it out of draining power grids nm
Posted by vik, Sat Apr-10-21 05:17 PM
13429788, XRP & XLM
Posted by SooperEgo, Sun Apr-11-21 03:05 PM
bought half my XRP at $.60 and then when it dipped, bought the other half at $.28.

it's at $1.39 now

bought XLM at $.15 and now it's at $.60
13429798, what are you using to buy XRP?
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Apr-11-21 07:47 PM
13430132, RE: what are you using to buy XRP?
Posted by The Big ED, Wed Apr-14-21 09:39 AM
Uphold is the primary place I have seen still listing XRP
13429805, Coinbase Earn got me $10 of XLM.
Posted by JFrost1117, Sun Apr-11-21 10:49 PM
I've only bought another $10. I have 100+ units of it now.
13430106, dogecoindogecoindogecoindogecoin.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Tue Apr-13-21 08:08 PM
13430113, How can I take this stuff seriously when something started as a joke...
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Apr-14-21 07:20 AM
...is now treated as valuable?

Like, Bitcoin or some other spinoffs...okay. Maybe they could turn out to be the wave of the future.

But doge was literally created as a joke. It's got a goofy dog on it lol. Why are people throwing money at it?

I think this is a sign that there is too much money floating out here. I usually don't worry about inflation because I've never seen it in my lifetime. But this feels an indicator for high inflation coming through

13430126, plenty of businesses have started as jokes
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-14-21 08:52 AM
or as something that was just fun and not taken seriously...

if people put real money behind it.. jokes on you if you had a chance to invest and missed the boat

and no, I don’t have big money invested in this..

13430129, <--- on pace to clear XXK+ in two days
Posted by Kira, Wed Apr-14-21 09:28 AM
13430160, yup.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Wed Apr-14-21 01:02 PM
13430251, I threw a hundred at it when it was at 13 cents.
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-16-21 09:44 AM
and I should’ve done it when it hit 7 cents..

its still running.

easy money.. and yes, I know it could go the other way.
13430252, A friend sold his for $7000 yesterday
Posted by handle, Fri Apr-16-21 09:49 AM
Would be worth like $21,000 today.

he feels sick.

There's no rhyme or reason to any of it - it's simply a con game. And people have confidence right now for some reason.
13430255, I put in $2 yesterday just to understand how crypto trading works
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Apr-16-21 09:56 AM
More than doubled my money already

I'm bout to put all my chips in lol
13430258, oof
Posted by mista k5, Fri Apr-16-21 10:21 AM
coworker put in $50 at the beginning of the year i think its worth $1500 now.

i put in $5 i think in late january and its been flat since. a couple of spikes. when it went up early in the week i decided im done and pulled it. its more than gone up 6 times in value since, doubled the same day. it wouldnt have been worth anything big but it still sucks to time it wrong lol

when i saw it was at 33 cents this morning i decided to try $15. it instantly started falling lol its gone back up since. way too wacky to put any serious money into it. im hoping i can double that before it pops. might just pull the profit and let the rest sit.

if it goes back to 8 cents or so then maybe i will put more into it and forget about it.
13430276, hey.. he made a profit
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-16-21 12:00 PM
if it tanked he would feel like the smartest man in the room.

I keep saying sell and get out but at most I may take profits and see what the rest does.

13430253, lol...I bought 1000 last night at .17....
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Apr-16-21 09:53 AM
made $200, overnight. Would throw in some more, but I'm gonna chill.
13430254, it's going to $1
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Fri Apr-16-21 09:56 AM
>
13431768, it just might!....
Posted by kinetic94761180, Tue May-04-21 07:38 AM
13430280, fuuuuuuuuck that.
Posted by double negative, Fri Apr-16-21 12:42 PM
goddamn reddit money. no thanks.

I mean, if you're making dough, good for you, but I've made it a point to stay away in 2014, 2017 and now in 2021.
13430281, RemindMeBot
Posted by kinetic94761180, Fri Apr-16-21 12:51 PM
I will be messaging you in 3 years on 2024-04-16 09:42:01 UTC to remind you of this link
13430282, LOL. I'm really good.
Posted by double negative, Fri Apr-16-21 01:17 PM
I'm holding an ok sized portfolio

I think overall, I'm up 6000%+ starting in 2016 and not touching anything but just trying out new stuff.
13430287, nice
Posted by kinetic94761180, Fri Apr-16-21 02:05 PM
13430284, What are yall using for dogecoin?
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Apr-16-21 01:30 PM
I wanna be down.
13430286, Robinhood, for me
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Apr-16-21 01:43 PM
13430336, Thanks for the nod to this.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Sun Apr-18-21 04:54 PM

13430339, 👊🏾
Posted by Dstl1, Sun Apr-18-21 08:16 PM
13430290, Voyager. I hopped on it early before the wait times
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-16-21 03:14 PM
some people said they had to wait a week or longer which is crazy.

I think it was less than 24 hours for me. Might have been instant.

13431767, how much to buy okp?
Posted by kinetic94761180, Tue May-04-21 07:36 AM
straight cash, out the door?
13431954, $1k bet on doge in jan 2021 now tops average US income-
Posted by kinetic94761180, Tue May-04-21 05:44 PM
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-1000-bet-on-dogecoin-to-start-2021-now-tops-the-average-us-income-205203719.html
13431985, If you put $1000 in on Jan 2021, you're a big dummy who got lucky
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue May-04-21 10:40 PM
13431998, Gotacondoroundmyneckgirlimcashinout......
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed May-05-21 07:36 AM
13430297, Speaking of scams
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Apr-16-21 05:23 PM
Has anyone else seen’t this S!NG app? Apparently, it lets you create your own NFT’s and put them on the blockchain.

I downloaded it because I collect Jake One sample packs, but I figure I can swindle a sucker or two in the process.
13430331, Would you be up for sharing said sample packs? 😎😎😎😎
Posted by Bambino Grande, Sun Apr-18-21 08:11 AM
13430314, smarten up Nas
Posted by go mack, Sat Apr-17-21 03:30 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddieberg/2021/04/14/a-surprise-winner-from-coinbases-ipo-rapper-nas/?sh=7f16123b7be6
13430332, damn.. lol
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun Apr-18-21 09:45 AM
Nas quietly making some serious coin off these moves.
13430843, Crypto dropping like a rock.. its time to buy!!
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-23-21 08:35 AM
I still have a hard time training my mind to buy when shit is ugly.

13430844, I shoulda sold my dogecoin Saturday morning...next rally i'm dropping it..
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Apr-23-21 08:45 AM
Def. gonna get some more Etherium and Bitcoin though

13430853, I said the same thing.. lol
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-23-21 09:23 AM
even told a friend it was time to take profits at .39 cents.. I didnt. smh.

still a made a profit but I really need to pull the trigger when my gut says sell.

13430850, to mint or not to mint
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Fri Apr-23-21 09:07 AM
why is that even a question :)
13430944, Market is down over Janet Yellen's alleged
Posted by Kira, Fri Apr-23-21 03:56 PM
80% tax on crypto. I made over 30 under 300K on a certain four lettered memecoin and now I'm in trouble if that alleged tax hike is true.

About to flip one ether for like 25 million safemoon..

13430953, damn
Posted by grey, Fri Apr-23-21 04:26 PM
only threw a few dollars at doge when it was .009 a coin back in jan. im sick.

got a few nft’s from gateway early last year that have aged nicely. kickin myself twice i aint get more.

80% is wild
13430960, ...
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Fri Apr-23-21 05:19 PM
>
13430964, Rumors don't effect REAL money like that
Posted by handle, Fri Apr-23-21 05:52 PM
It's all just speculation (the tax rumor AND crypto in general.)

13430989, lmao.. you sure about that?
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Apr-24-21 08:27 AM