Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHaha def. I've said this many times here and elsewhere.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13413597&mesg_id=13413626
13413626, Haha def. I've said this many times here and elsewhere.
Posted by Brew, Thu Nov-12-20 06:44 PM
>W was obviously a disastrous president who left lasting
>damage, but Trump's such a trash human being on every level
>that the general narrative around Bush now is that he was a
>bad president but a decent man.

It's easy to forget just how historically awful and destructive the Bush admin was in light of the last 4 years for sure.

But there's arguments to be made that Bush did more damage on a human level than 45 did. I don't know if I'd personally make those arguments, necessarily, but I think there's a good argument to be made. Specifically about Iraq/the Middle East in general.

I think the financial crisis also helped W a lot on his way out, as the national focus was no longer on the disaster that was the ongoing Iraq War and his other numerous failures but instead on the financial industry and their transgressions. I also think the crash may have played a part in Obama's seeming disinterest in even passively criticizing his predecessor in any meaningful way, because he immediately had to work with the outgoing administration to try and save the world economy (which is a whole other discussion of course). Those two things combined allowed W to more or less sneak away from his horrific presidency unscathed and lurk in the shadows for a few years before he reemerged to show off his cute paintings and shit. Thus allowing him to sort of reinvent himself in light of the perhaps more sensational and headline-driving disaster that is 45 and his "administration."