Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectContemporary stuff there, I still think the classics are also vital
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13413125&mesg_id=13414204
13414204, Contemporary stuff there, I still think the classics are also vital
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Nov-18-20 06:49 PM
I'll guess that you already The Fire Next Time and probably some other Baldwin stuff but there was a hardbound collection of his essays and shorter works (just a plain white jacket with black print) that was very illuminating and varied.

Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth is still indispensable and recently seems to have come under fire from conservative assholes much in the way that they put Howard Zinn in their crosshairs. That means it is still poignant, relevant and, in my view, essential.

Angela Davis's Are Prisons Obsolete? is a pretty good intro to some of the defunding/abolitionist stuff that is going on now even though it was written like 20 years ago.

One that I think has a wide range of topics explored from fairly hardcore political analysis to keen social insight is a book called Liberalism and the Limits of Power by Juliet A. Williams. It came out around 2005 and really hit the nail squarely in terms of the direction of liberalism and offered some other observations later on about the rise of a sort of preference for simulation and imitation over reality.