Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAn attempt to answer the main questions of this thread:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13409818&mesg_id=13409862
13409862, An attempt to answer the main questions of this thread:
Posted by Backbone, Mon Oct-26-20 05:57 AM
This is not meant to be scientific at all, but rather my current intuition after months of hoovering up info because it's interesting to me and helps me to navigate society during the pandemic.

Basically, I think the reason most people here know relatively few infected people is because OKP's are largely middle class, democrat-leaning and with young children.

- A lot of the big clusters occur in lower-income workplaces such as meatpacking plants, care centers and prisons. Impossible to work from home, hard to keep distance (especially if you use mass transit or shuttle services to go there), poor ventilation, etc.
So unless you work in a place like this, or know many people that do, chances are you're not going to see many infections around you.

- With the highly politicized nature of the pandemic response in the US, I think it's safe to say that democrats will practice more distancing and mask-wearing than republicans, leaving the latter at higher risk of getting it. So unless you know a ton of republicans, many infections will stay under your radar.

- Young children seem to play a rather small role in spreading the disease, teenagers and young adults are a bigger factor. So if you have young children or no children at all, that's another sizeable part of the population you're not hearing from directly.

- And finally, most of us are approaching middle age and don't have as many differing social contacts as an average person in their twenties. Boring = safe :/