Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI guess its a matter of when i see it (or choose to acknowledge it)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13409653&mesg_id=13410390
13410390, I guess its a matter of when i see it (or choose to acknowledge it)
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Oct-28-20 03:58 AM
some people just don't pop off enough to be on the radar. like i know just enough to know they're trumpers. Some i genuinely like as people, and i think it's just a matter of their own ignorance, background and environment (i know some lefties i'm pretty sure would be right wingers if they lived or grew up somewhere else) but there are also a couple i know i should cut loose because they're trash, but for whatever reason i dont

I started writing this long thing, but lets just say the ones i cut loose were people who really started showing their ass with Obama and let loose once Trump came along. In a couple cases I knew these people were more than just borderline racist, so i feel pretty ashamed for letting them stick around in my life even a little bit.

>For me, it's not so much as holding any other person to any
>moral standard, but evaluating my own moral standards, and
>evaluating whether I can justify a relationship with this
>person within the context of that standard.
>
>Further, I have to evaluate whether I can justify that
>relationship if the things they believe are objectively
>harmful, either directly or indirectly, toward others I love.

That's definitely a good rule

>After that... it's a matter of evaluating whether or not
>there's a willingness or a capacity to change their views.

I wonder when and how this is possible, because i feel like it almost never comes from conversation but usually when something they're against hits them personally, or when they're own environment expands or changes. But i'd like to believe some people can be reached.