Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectfair discourse on all points. How do you draw those lines?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13409653&mesg_id=13410384
13410384, fair discourse on all points. How do you draw those lines?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Oct-28-20 01:01 AM
Granted, personal temperament plays a role.

I've drawn some pretty hard lines when it comes to personal relationships, and there's certain shit I just flat out won't deal with apart from extenuating circumstances.

That practice made it a lot easier for me to trim the roster of MAGA types. Sometimes it's difficult because there are relationships that were otherwise beneficial. But those situations are simplified by asking myself some hard questions.

For me, it's not so much as holding any other person to any moral standard, but evaluating my own moral standards, and evaluating whether I can justify a relationship with this person within the context of that standard.

Further, I have to evaluate whether I can justify that relationship if the things they believe are objectively harmful, either directly or indirectly, toward others I love.

After that... it's a matter of evaluating whether or not there's a willingness or a capacity to change their views.