Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOn FB: If you’re voting for Trump unfriend me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13409653
13409653, On FB: If you’re voting for Trump unfriend me
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Oct-23-20 08:41 AM
man.. when I see my Black peoples back home in Western, PA post this and then see like 20 white people get mad at them. Lmao.

You really need to make this announcement? You already know the real.
13409673, the indignant respones are always funny too
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Oct-23-20 11:07 AM
Are you implying im a racist because i suppoert Trump? My nephew is half black and i think Remember the Titans is a GREAT movie. This is so offensive to me. How dare you
13409674, LOL a clown I know did the "my nephew is black" thing a few weeks ago.
Posted by Brew, Fri Oct-23-20 11:12 AM
No joke. He said "OK enough of this. I'm off to see my (half-black) nephew" to end a conversation about how racist he is lololol

The stupidity is astounding.

>Are you implying im a racist because i suppoert Trump? My
>nephew is half black and i think Remember the Titans is a
>GREAT movie. This is so offensive to me. How dare you
13409706, i love how randomly they throw it in
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Oct-23-20 01:10 PM
was talking to my ex years back, and long after we were together and somehow Will Smith came up in a conversation.

She was saying she doesn't like him because he's always going on i'm black this an i'm black that, and I'm confused and asked wait, when does Will Smith EVER do this? and she immediately responded with look, my niece is half black, i'm not racist.

huh? lol
13409713, Hahahahahaha. That's incredible.
Posted by Brew, Fri Oct-23-20 02:07 PM
Glad to hear she's your ex lol

>was talking to my ex years back, and long after we were
>together and somehow Will Smith came up in a conversation.
>
>She was saying she doesn't like him because he's always going
>on i'm black this an i'm black that, and I'm confused and
>asked wait, when does Will Smith EVER do this? and she
>immediately responded with look, my niece is half black, i'm
>not racist.
>
>huh? lol
13409682, The “I have black people in my family” is always hilarious.
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Oct-23-20 11:42 AM
Like your niece getting knocked up by some Black dude makes you less racist.
13409683, LOLOLOL
Posted by Brew, Fri Oct-23-20 11:44 AM
>Like your niece getting knocked up by some Black dude makes
>you less racist.
13409705, lmao
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Oct-23-20 12:56 PM
>Like your niece getting knocked up by some Black dude makes
>you less racist.
13409716, LMAO
Posted by Amritsar, Fri Oct-23-20 02:09 PM
13409675, People are so odd
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Oct-23-20 11:17 AM
Very few are going to go make the effort to unfriend you because you posted that. If you really want to not be fb friends with people who support him, delete them when you see them posting shit supporting him. Otherwise, you're just clowning.

Just like when people used to post that they were going to be going through their friends list and deleting people.

Muhfuckas just want attention.
13409680, If you don't know who's voting for him by now....
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Oct-23-20 11:40 AM
I mean, honestly. I get the sentiment...but the same people who post things like this are probably the same people who say they'll move if (insert candidate) leaves. They're not going to. They just want attention.
13409684, It’s hilarious because these people
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Oct-23-20 11:47 AM
know these people on their timeline ain’t shit... wasn’t shit, it won’t ever be shit...

but since they went to elementary school they stay connected and act shocked like it’s new info.
13409697, I'll be honest.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Oct-23-20 12:30 PM
I keep a lot of those people. Most, really. I unfollow, but stay friended. And really it's just a way for me to say, "Let me see what that loser's been up to and posting" once in awhile. It's like catching up on a bad reality show.
13409704, The way it’s set up now I prolly blocked people
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Oct-23-20 12:47 PM
but still have them on the back end somewhere.

and there is nothing wrong with peaking in to see the shit show. It’s the weird ass announcement like you really didn’t know these people weren’t shit before this election.
13409715, Same deal here. Unfollow rather than unfriend.
Posted by Brew, Fri Oct-23-20 02:08 PM
13409758, yeah i have a few of these
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Oct-23-20 05:53 PM
it's weird because a couple of them comment regularly on things i post. not political stuff i don't do that much, and when i do they don't really chime in, but it's just weird because they clearly assume i can see things they post.

so every now and then i'll do rounds on the unfollow folk and confirm i made the right choice.

for unfriending, since Trump there have been 4 (that i know of). 2 I dumped and 2 dumped me.

>I keep a lot of those people. Most, really. I unfollow, but
>stay friended. And really it's just a way for me to say, "Let
>me see what that loser's been up to and posting" once in
>awhile. It's like catching up on a bad reality show.
13409693, my older brother used to say "sometimes you gotta check in on...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Oct-23-20 12:16 PM
white folks just to see what they are up to"

I feel the same way about keeping a few conservative-minded "friends" on social media just to see how they are thinking. Most of them I lost during past elections when Obama was running the few that I have now will say something every now and then but are mostly low key. I have a couple that occasionally debate respectfully and 1 that is an actual MD that defended 45 during the hydroxychloroquine mess.

Some people are going to stick with their party regardless. Most of the Republicans in congress can't stand DT but they have to support him.
13409701, Oh, absolutely.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Oct-23-20 12:37 PM
Social media has made us aware of the views of the people we know. That's a good thing. Do I care about what someone I haven't seen in 20 years said on Facebook? Not really. Do I care that my cousin is being indoctrinated into QAnon stuff? Uh, yeah. That's scary.
13409709, Head of HR came on a call today with Blue Lives Matter cap on
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Oct-23-20 01:14 PM
I know you was trying to provoke. What's comical is that my family is full of law enforcement and I would never wear that is, and I know his immigrant ass doesn't have any.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13409717, fb has some psychological shit where you feel guilty dropping people.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Oct-23-20 02:15 PM
like someone you added back in 2008...never talked to...yall wont miss each other and wouldnt even notice if either one of you didnt appear in the friends list anymore...

...but its so hard to pull that trigger.
13409726, How do people who do the unfriending go through multiple rounds of it?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Oct-23-20 02:41 PM
I got a person on FB who is constantly saying stuff along the lines of "My delete button is getting worn out today". This is after pretty much every major event.

Keep in mind she has like 400 friends on there. How you still have problematic folks on your timeline after 15 rounds of unfriending lol
13409731, I think people added friends like MySpace when they got into FB.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Oct-23-20 02:54 PM
I’m guilty, too. Just adding randos and watching their fuckin kids grow up while never having had a convo with them, outside of a DM slide. All that, up until the increased unrest and the rise of Trump, then you find out the fuckshit.
13409734, LOL yea. Some kid I met once 12 years ago ..
Posted by Brew, Fri Oct-23-20 03:09 PM
.. who I've been fbook friends w/since unfriended me last week cuz I went at him hard about a bullshit post he made about "Russiagate" (his stupid words not mine). I really went in cuz I was like, I'll prolly never see this clown again lol.

Didn't last long. Good riddance.
13409766, anybody ever read the comic book ROM: Spaceknight?
Posted by poetx, Fri Oct-23-20 11:17 PM
that, to me, is the perfect analogy for fb.

marvel created a whole comic book back in the day for some cheesy robot toy. but the story and concept were dope.

http://www.yourchickenenemy.com/2011/05/two-bit-comics-rom-spaceknight-3.html

basically, dude is a cyborg who comes to earth hunting a shape-shifting species called the dire wraiths (kinda like the skrulls).

they walk around in human form.

rom is a big ass silver robot. he has this thing called the spectrum analyzer, which flashes a red light, revealing the actual humans from the monsters in human form.

when he sees the wraiths, he pulls out his neutralizer, which banishes them to limbo. to anyone watching, however, it looks like he vaporized innocent humans on sight and left a pile of ashes.

so he kinda gets a bad rep.

anyway, fb is like the analyzer. i don't be wanting to but when i read ppl posts it's clear that there are fucking monsters among us.

i wouldn't have known if ppl didn't feel free to post all types of revelatory dumb shit.

i don't got a neutralizer tho. well, i guess the block button is that. i be slow w/ it, but a grip of folks got it this time around, per the OP.

i don't announce it, either. some shit is just... neutralize on sight.

my wife don't play, tho. she get her shit on fully auto. p-p-pew-pew-pew.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
13409769, Damn, completely forgot about that series
Posted by Adwhizz, Sat Oct-24-20 04:33 AM
Thanks for reminding me
13409790, It occasionally gets brought back
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Oct-24-20 02:01 PM
In mid '00s, they brought be the idea of the Space Knights and the "Anihillation" event that served as an effective reboot of Marvel's space side and eventually lead to Guardians of the Galaxy becoming a thing again.

Then about four years ago, IDW Comics bought the property in advance of the (since scrapped) "shared cinematic universe" that Dreamworks/Paramount/Hasbro was going to create for the Transformers. It was going to be Transformers, GI: Joe, ROM, Micranots, and the Visionaries. Comic series last barely over a year and sidetracked what was then an excellent Transformers comics universe.
13409778, All of this.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-20 10:45 AM
Sometimes, it saddens me. Other times it's whatever.

In either case, it's better to know how they really think.
13409841, every day is a new scooby doo episode of finding out old man jenkins
Posted by poetx, Sun Oct-25-20 07:21 PM
is racist as fuck.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

13409791, "Black Space Knight like ROM" (c) RZA
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Oct-24-20 02:03 PM
I never really read it, since it was just a bit ahead of my time, but I remember the ads from my old GI: Joe/Transformers comics. And, as stated above, I dug the references/appearances that would occasionally pop up.

But in general, yes, I agree with everything you said.
13409792, It says ROM but I heard WOM in my head.
Posted by JFrost1117, Sat Oct-24-20 03:06 PM
13409842, i felt so validated by the RZA verse.
Posted by poetx, Sun Oct-25-20 07:22 PM
the venn diagrams of cultural influence were definitely overlapping all over the place.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

13409777, IMO that's a weak ass way to handle it. it's on you/me to trim the roster
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-20 10:41 AM
When I see posts in that vein, I don't see it as taking a stand.

I see it as a passive aggressive invitation to an argument.

If you don't like someone's views, either pose a direct challenge to those views or let it pass, if it's not a serious issue in the grand scheme.

And if their views are bad enough that you can't fuck with them anymore, it's on you/me to just push that button.

From.my experience, I realize that the closer you are to people, the harder it is to cut them out like that. Sometimes it's not even that we're that close right today, but there are those memories from when we were.

Truth be told, it's a great excercise in self reflection.

I.e- what does it say about me that I keep this person around me?

Not even from a standpoint of, what do others think of me- though that matters to an extent- but from a. standpoint of, how can I even justify this relationship to myself on a moral basis? Even if I'm a dissenting voice, I'm complicit if I'm still fucking with them at all.

I think there are some hard stops on the "we can agree to disagree" train of thought. And if someone's ideology is bad enough that I want no parts of them, it's on me to kick them to the curb.
13409794, i def struggle with this
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Oct-24-20 03:53 PM
because i've dropped some people and kept some people, and i don't really have any kind of set in stone red line. it's easy for people who aren't you to ask why you keep contact with someone with such shitty opinions about things that are important, but it's always a personal decision, esp when you know someone as a person beyond some deplorable viewpoint.

i don't have any regrets over anyone i severed with, but remain on the fence with others i still fuck with. sometimes it's a fairly easy choice, other times, not so much.

13410384, fair discourse on all points. How do you draw those lines?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Oct-28-20 01:01 AM
Granted, personal temperament plays a role.

I've drawn some pretty hard lines when it comes to personal relationships, and there's certain shit I just flat out won't deal with apart from extenuating circumstances.

That practice made it a lot easier for me to trim the roster of MAGA types. Sometimes it's difficult because there are relationships that were otherwise beneficial. But those situations are simplified by asking myself some hard questions.

For me, it's not so much as holding any other person to any moral standard, but evaluating my own moral standards, and evaluating whether I can justify a relationship with this person within the context of that standard.

Further, I have to evaluate whether I can justify that relationship if the things they believe are objectively harmful, either directly or indirectly, toward others I love.

After that... it's a matter of evaluating whether or not there's a willingness or a capacity to change their views.
13410390, I guess its a matter of when i see it (or choose to acknowledge it)
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Oct-28-20 03:58 AM
some people just don't pop off enough to be on the radar. like i know just enough to know they're trumpers. Some i genuinely like as people, and i think it's just a matter of their own ignorance, background and environment (i know some lefties i'm pretty sure would be right wingers if they lived or grew up somewhere else) but there are also a couple i know i should cut loose because they're trash, but for whatever reason i dont

I started writing this long thing, but lets just say the ones i cut loose were people who really started showing their ass with Obama and let loose once Trump came along. In a couple cases I knew these people were more than just borderline racist, so i feel pretty ashamed for letting them stick around in my life even a little bit.

>For me, it's not so much as holding any other person to any
>moral standard, but evaluating my own moral standards, and
>evaluating whether I can justify a relationship with this
>person within the context of that standard.
>
>Further, I have to evaluate whether I can justify that
>relationship if the things they believe are objectively
>harmful, either directly or indirectly, toward others I love.

That's definitely a good rule

>After that... it's a matter of evaluating whether or not
>there's a willingness or a capacity to change their views.

I wonder when and how this is possible, because i feel like it almost never comes from conversation but usually when something they're against hits them personally, or when they're own environment expands or changes. But i'd like to believe some people can be reached.
13410430, For me, I simply decide whether or not I can be the one to reach
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Oct-28-20 09:44 AM
>I wonder when and how this is possible, because i feel like it
>almost never comes from conversation but usually when
>something they're against hits them personally, or when
>they're own environment expands or changes. But i'd like to
>believe some people can be reached.

It's just a read, really. There's too much evidence that people can, and do, undergo radical shifts in ideology.

Sometimes, there's simply too much walking and talking like a particular duck. Everything about their perspective adds up, from top to bottom, and while they may not outright say certain things, they say enough that it's "oh... you're one of those".

For me, at this point, if you vote Trump, it's deuces.

Because, at a minimum, you're supporting someone who is unarguably a tangible threat to absolutely everyone, but especially the most vulnerable among us, and there simply isn't a policy take that can justify a vote for him. The basket of deplorable with him is just too deep.

And maybe those people can change, but I genuinely can't get past that.

But it's definitely a personal choice to cut someone out for any reason. I just know for me, as my moral compass has improved, it makes it much more difficult to tolerate certain ideologies, and I'd rather not have them around.
13409793, i have a trumper friend who posted the flip of this
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Oct-24-20 03:44 PM
not "if you don't like trump.." but kind of a rant because people were unfriending him over Trump, that if anyone truly thinks he's racist go ahead and just unfriend him now, drama queen shit.

I didn't reply because we go back n forth about this stuff off of fb but the trump supporters as the real victims narrative is so goofy and sad
13409849, I don’t have any friends that are Trump supporters
Posted by luminous, Sun Oct-25-20 09:03 PM
Thank God
13409861, there's one person on my fb who I know is republican
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Oct-26-20 05:47 AM
mostly because I've known he's republican since we were in 2nd grade, and dude has *always* been republican

but he's a never trumper (at least outwardly, idk what he actually votes for and I don't ask, but he's always thought of himself as a "I just like low taxes and small government" republican)

and one white libertarian, who voted lib in 2016 and is voting biden this year.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13409885, I used to give fiscal conservatives room to operate.
Posted by Brew, Mon Oct-26-20 09:07 AM
>but he's a never trumper (at least outwardly, idk what he
>actually votes for and I don't ask, but he's always thought of
>himself as a "I just like low taxes and small government"
>republican)

But then I learned that fiscal conservatism is a direct descendent of white supremacist/racist conservatism. Lower taxes and decreased regulations/small government means oppressed populations don't get the things they need. Lee Atwater and other openly confessed that that was the entire point, too.

So fuck fiscal conservatism. To be fair, if someone claims to be "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" (which many people do) I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they just don't understand how that really works in practice (it *doesn't* work). But if after it's explained to them they *still* claim fiscal conservatism, fuck them.
13410000, yeah that shit didn't even fly when we were in 3rd grade
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Oct-26-20 03:04 PM

13410006, Haha right.
Posted by Brew, Mon Oct-26-20 03:37 PM
Like I said I used to give these folks some leeway/benefit of the doubt and chalked it up to ignorance.

But if you still spew that disingenuous bullshit after being made aware of the facts you're just hopelessly racist.
13410035, i've never in my life heard a not white guy describe themself this way
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Oct-26-20 06:02 PM
like, it times out in my head when even trying to picture it

>if someone claims to
>be "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" (which many
>people do)
13410036, it pops up among special snowflake types in tech
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Oct-26-20 06:05 PM
13410046, LOL of course not ! Obviously the few people in my life I've heard ...
Posted by Brew, Mon Oct-26-20 07:28 PM
... describe themselves this way were all white.

>like, it times out in my head when even trying to picture it
>
>>if someone claims to
>>be "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" (which many
>>people do)
13410388, why did 'i'm so scared' get locked?
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Oct-28-20 02:52 AM
anyway shot out to cold truth's breakdown of the whole thing which was so on point maybe it autolocked
13410392, Conversely, if you one of these Dem shills...
Posted by Kira, Wed Oct-28-20 06:22 AM
that blame black men for everything then expect us to vote for Kamala and her contempt for black men then kindly sit down. Every community besides ours gets tangible policy solely for their community. We get an hbcu hoodie, a few dances, and a few Pac references.

I let my Republican friends cook then screenshot their posts to use later to help the world understand their perspective. Get your privileged bars off.
13410433, LOL I like this approach.
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-28-20 09:49 AM
>I let my Republican friends cook then screenshot their posts
>to use later to help the world understand their perspective.
>Get your privileged bars off.
13410614, yea, but its too bad he doesn't actually do that
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Oct-29-20 02:13 AM
or vote
13410625, Excuse me????
Posted by Kira, Thu Oct-29-20 08:16 AM
Of course I do what I mentioned and I voted last week contrary to whatever Democratic shills believe.
13410668, You dont vote but you do make screenshots of things Trump supporters say
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Oct-29-20 12:01 PM
and damn if anyone says that's not true

cool.
13410523, so like...how many republican friends is that
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Oct-28-20 02:33 PM
cute how you pretend there are black people who hang out with you

13410532, Thought you learned your lesson the last time....
Posted by Kira, Wed Oct-28-20 02:55 PM
>cute how you pretend there are black people who hang out with
>you
>

Could care less about what you think or say. You've never met me or my friends but g'head and keep manufacturing whatever lame narrative you can think of about someone you've never met. Don't use the word cute in the presence of another man little boy.
13410541, I have no idea what you're referring to
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Oct-28-20 03:10 PM