Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYea totally. I hate to be critical of folks who already struggle so much but ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13409368&mesg_id=13423081
13423081, Yea totally. I hate to be critical of folks who already struggle so much but ...
Posted by Brew, Fri Feb-05-21 01:40 PM
>How are people supposed to keep it clear otherwise? Like THIS
>is who I am talking about - not some new person you don't
>know. Or not that other person by this new name - this one.
>
>I don't know.

... I think there's gotta be *some* level of leeway you have to be willing to give people in instances like this, where the intention is clarity and not offensiveness.

Your description nailed it - that person appears to be trying to make sure nobody's confused about who they're speaking with/about, not trying to be condescending or embarrass anyone.

My lifelong friend "Mollie" is now a trans male "Lee". I support him a trillion percent and he knows that. But sometimes I slip up and say "she" when in conversation. He has, many times, made it clear that he is not offended and understands why it'd be difficult for me and others who've known him for literally 30+ years at this point to suddenly start referring to him as the opposite sex we used to know him as for 25ish years.