Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDid anybody watch the Apple event?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13408088
13408088, Did anybody watch the Apple event?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Oct-13-20 02:49 PM
basically they got a Siri version of the Amazon Echo Dot and the iPhone 12 doesn't come with headphones or the charging block.

Other than than that its and hour + rambling on about the camera that most people won't care about unless your a professional photographer that uses an actual camera to take pics
13408099, No. I haven't watched the last few.
Posted by sectachrome86, Tue Oct-13-20 03:22 PM
iPhone announcements are no longer something to get excited about. It's just a different name with an improved camera and faster processor every time. Ive had an XS for almost 2 years and I have no desire to upgrade at all.

The new iPad Air and Watch SE from the last event piqued my interest though. I have an original Air and Watch Series 1 and haven't been able to justify upgrading to an iPad Pro or newer Watch because they are just super expensive with features I don't care about.
13408100, APPLE. IS. FUCKING. UP.
Posted by double negative, Tue Oct-13-20 03:24 PM
sorry, I love apple, but they are losing me with these orphan solutions.

*typed from my 2019 macbook pro*
13408113, Feels Wildly out of touch
Posted by Amritsar, Tue Oct-13-20 03:58 PM
I mean they’ve been gearing up for the new release for well before
COVID. Moneys gotta be made and all that

But id be shocked if there is the same level of hype we’ve seen in past years for the ... new goddamn iPhone fiven the current climate
13408119, Has APPL ever gone DOWN after a phone announcement?
Posted by sectachrome86, Tue Oct-13-20 04:06 PM
13408120, yes
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Oct-13-20 04:08 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13408122, I think they go down after every one for the past few years
Posted by Nopayne, Tue Oct-13-20 04:11 PM
Then pop back up if the models sell well.
13408121, why would you watch it unless it's your job to.
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Oct-13-20 04:09 PM
that presentation isn't for consumers.

13408123, it kinda is, I have customers that will watch it and ask me questions...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Oct-13-20 04:15 PM
about it...

>that presentation isn't for consumers.
13408124, all the answers you need are going to be on the website after
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Oct-13-20 04:24 PM
even apple's posting their own supercuts now.

13408125, true
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Oct-13-20 04:27 PM
13408126, I didn't have to cover it live, so I didn't watch it
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Oct-13-20 04:32 PM
but I mean, they're stuck.

there's not a whole lot you can do to a phone now

13408176, I did.
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Oct-14-20 09:43 AM
The no headphones/charging block part, coming off the event last month was actually hilarious. man, those motherfuckers tryna drive up margins off accessories you actually need to use the damn phone. Not a big deal for people upgrading but for people hopping in this shit new? Sheeeeit.

I was only interested mostly in seeing what the new iPhones would look like and what the colors would have been, for the most part. What the prices were going to be. They didn't jack them up from last year so I guess it's a win.
13408180, im appe everything and i dont because yearly updates r not that important
Posted by thegodcam, Wed Oct-14-20 10:06 AM
this is what im working with:
-2010 macbook pro
- 5th generation iPad 2017
- iPhone XR for personal use
- iphone 8 for work

all this stuff is still working great. helps i dont really shoot nor process photos like i used to.... if i did, would consider an upgrade to the MBP... but for now, all the extra bells and whistles of the new upgrades r not necessary for me....

sometimes i feel the iPad pro calling me but i know i dont need it...
13408190, I’m thinking about an iPad or laptop
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Oct-14-20 11:33 AM
just because I don’t have anything to work away from my home desktop.

One issue I have with my iMac is that shit is sloooooow af. Thinking about booting from an external SSD. The problem is my wife and I have different logins and anytime you switch from to the other it’s like 20 minutes. Something is definitely wrong.

13408197, I finally jumped on the iPhone train last year with the 11...it feels GREAT
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Oct-14-20 12:06 PM
not having that "upgrade urge" I used to have every year when I was rocking with the Samsung line.
I saw the updates about the iPhone yesterday and my only reaction was "Bet, let me get up on some super discounted 11 Pro Max accessories!"
13408205, I finally upgraded to an 11
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Oct-14-20 01:17 PM
about 8 months ago.

I had a small ass 6SE before that. Looking at it now, that thing was so small.. lmao.
13408216, I have the 7 still. It's a certified pile of shit at this point.
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-14-20 02:20 PM
I was waiting for this event hoping to be able to get like the iPhone 10 for dirt cheap. But I guess they're only keeping the 11 and then all this year's releases, which is wack.

So now I don't know what to do. Even though it's everyone's lifeline at this point (we do everything on our "phones" .. literally everything), I feel some kinda way about spending $1,200 for a damn phone. And I refuse to "rent" my phone. Fuck that shit.
13408228, .....why would you have to spend 1200?
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Oct-14-20 03:04 PM

13408312, Well, I wouldn't have to. But to get the phone I'd want ...
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-14-20 06:14 PM
... including what I'd need in terms of GB (268 or whatever the largest one is) that's what it would cost.

But yea I wouldn't *have* to spend that much by any means. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of knowing myself and knowing that once I buy the new one I prolly won't seek to upgrade again for at least 4+ years so I may as well get the one I want if I'm gonna have it for that long.
13408327, I mean I feel you, I have a moto edge with 256gb and a 256 card on top of it
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Oct-14-20 06:53 PM
but you can still get last year's midrange, or even the new 12 and be goooooood

13408331, Yea that's true. Like I said to Dstl below I guess I'll have to ...
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-14-20 07:20 PM
... do some more research about last year's models and the lower cost new models, see what I can do to mix and match and not pay a mortgage payment for a phone haha.
13408238, my son just bought a XS Max for $550...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Oct-14-20 03:45 PM
he upgraded from the 7 Plus I bought him for Christmas.
13408314, Word. I suppose I'll have to take a harder look at the XS and like ...
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-14-20 06:17 PM
... the mini or whatever it is.

So you guys are right - I don't *have* to spend anything. Again, and I obviously didn't expound on this point, I was just saying that if/when I upgrade I tend to want to get all the bells and whistles - this goes for phones, cars, whatever I'm in the market for in that moment. So I was speaking to what I'd have to spend in order to get what I'd want in totality.
13408316, gotcha, gotcha...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Oct-14-20 06:22 PM
and this is a 15 year old...you might require more that the XS Max offers. I'm an Android guy, so I'm hardly well-versed in Apple products. The only Apple item I own is my 6th Generation Ipad.
13408235, I want to upgrade my iPhone 8
Posted by handle, Wed Oct-14-20 03:36 PM
I've had it for 3 years, still going strong.

I'd like the night mode shooting and the generally between camera.

The 12 Mini has a 5.4" screen - where my 8 Plus is 5.5 - so even the mini sounds good - even though its not as wide which makes typing harder.

I'd also like a lighter phone, the 12 Mini weights 4.76 ounces, and my 8 Plus weighs 7.13. The normal 12 weighs 5.78 so that's an option too. Hell the new iPhone SE weight 5.22 and that feels light.

So it might be the mini for me.

Only thing I'm really going to miss is the Touch ID button.
13408315, Yea this is something I'm gonna have a hard time with as well.
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-14-20 06:19 PM
>Only thing I'm really going to miss is the Touch ID button.

Everytime I use a phone that doesn't have the home button I'm completely lost. Obviously I'd get used to it but I don't like the thought of it. I've been closing apps and double tapping and shit for like 10-11 years at this point. Damn I sound like such a sheep.

Anyway this raises another question: do new phones *require* facial recognition to unlock ? Or could I still just use a passcode ? I'd very much prefer never to use facial rec if I can avoid it.
13408318, You can always have passcode only
Posted by handle, Wed Oct-14-20 06:25 PM
Face ID isn't required.

But I think TouchID > FaceId.

Also the physical home button can be explained a lto easier to my mother (whom I purchase an iPhone SE 2020 edition.)
13408321, Good ok.
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-14-20 06:28 PM
>But I think TouchID > FaceId.

Agreed entirely. For a few reasons.
13408328, apple is fucking up by not doing an in-screen scanner
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Oct-14-20 06:54 PM

13408363, Yeah this Face ID is some bullshit...especially in current times....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Oct-15-20 08:14 AM
I still have a Galaxy S10e for my work phone, and being able to just pick up the phone and have it unlock immediately without showing it my face is so much more fluid
13408589, Fuck it, I'm doing the "mini"
Posted by handle, Fri Oct-16-20 11:57 AM
Why?

Cheaper.

Lighter. iPhone 8 plus is 7.13 ounces (202 grams). Mini is 4.76 ounces (135 grams) -lighter than an SE.

Screen is nearly as big as my iPhone 8 plus - 5.4" vs 5.5. And it's higher resolution.

My iPhone 8 plus has 256GB but I'm only using 48GB. So the 128 Mini should be big enough.

Only way i'll change my mind if the reviews say the 12 pro's cameras are just next level.
13408249, RE: Did anybody watch the Apple event?
Posted by jimaveli, Wed Oct-14-20 04:15 PM
>basically they got a Siri version of the Amazon Echo Dot and
>the iPhone 12 doesn't come with headphones or the charging
>block.
>
>Other than than that its and hour + rambling on about the
>camera that most people won't care about unless your a
>professional photographer that uses an actual camera to take
>pics

I didn't watch. I was planning to look around and see what folks were saying. I've been rolling with a 7+ for like forever. No real rush to get away from it, but it has been being time. I was hoping the 12 was some crazy leap forward so I chilled on all of the X and other stuff. To me, the 5G option was what I wanted so that's probably enough for me. Everything else is gonna be great for me cuz I'm going from an old crusty azz 7+.

So it is just a matter of do I do the Pro or the Pro Max. I'll figure it out, preorder, and roll on.
13408593, You peeped that the 5G only kicks in if iOS deems it necessary right?
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Oct-16-20 12:03 PM
Which...ok...I guess that makes sense a little....
but shiiiiit....
if the biggest feature upgrade touted is 5G...and i'm buying for 5G...I want ALL the 5G ...ALLLLLLLLL the time.... just because...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13408594, I don't get 5g - who cares
Posted by handle, Fri Oct-16-20 12:10 PM
LTE is way fast enough for me to go over my data limit - why do I need faster? %G doesn't seem to travel through buildings better - so no advantage there.

It's like a have Gigabit Ethernet at home - I don't need 10GB. Some people might - like pre-press shops or video editing SANs but not me.

I'll probably go into the Apple store and hole the mini and the 12 and my 8 and decide about the weight then.

I feel wearing a mask it'll be fairly safe. Apple has great crowd control and is really limiting the amount of people inside.

Quesiton: What does 5G get YOU? Is there a use case?

13408597, Yeah, 5G has zero appeal to me....I think it's just hype for the most part...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Oct-16-20 12:26 PM
especially seeing how you also have to have the higher tier plans on VZW in order to stream videos in a resolution that's high enough to take full advantage of the speed offering of 5G.....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13408687, RE: You peeped that the 5G only kicks in if iOS deems it necessary right?
Posted by jimaveli, Sat Oct-17-20 08:12 AM
>Which...ok...I guess that makes sense a little....
>but shiiiiit....
>if the biggest feature upgrade touted is 5G...and i'm buying
>for 5G...I want ALL the 5G ...ALLLLLLLLL the time.... just
>because...
>
>
>"Get ready....for your blessing....."
>"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

I’d like 5g on the reg too. Even now, I might look at my phone when I’m out somewhere and see that I don’t have lte. And I’m like ‘mane!!!!!!?’.

But I’m going to continue to buy phones then keep them roughly forever. Okay, 4 years or more. With that, I was fine to wait until a phone at least had 5g capabilities. With that, by the time I’m a couple or few years into the life of that phone, maybe the 5g will be more consistent than it was on day 1.

Shiiiid, maybe I’m still working from home a bunch and none of this matters anyway! Can’t be too sure.
13412312, Up at 5am to order the iPhone 12 mini
Posted by handle, Fri Nov-06-20 08:09 AM
The size seems cool, and the price is good.

We'll see next week.
13412453, RE: Up at 5am to order the iPhone 12 mini
Posted by jimaveli, Fri Nov-06-20 02:44 PM
>The size seems cool, and the price is good.
>
>We'll see next week.

I casually sauntered my azz onto Sprint.com a few hours ago and ordered the 12 pro max. I assumed it would sell out or something before then, but maybe I was guilty of thinking it would be like a game console or something. I guess not! We'll see how it goes when it is time for the device to be ready.

I was pleased that they had some discounts on-hand for old device and 'you've had Sprint for a while'. I covered both bases so hey. I'll take it!
13412358, Ordered a Series 6 Watch and iPad Air
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Nov-06-20 10:30 AM
Have had both my Series 1 Watch and original Air for like 5 years so just due for an upgrade.
13412398, Man, that first Apple watch was dogshit slow
Posted by handle, Fri Nov-06-20 12:25 PM
Every AppleWatch update - and I've had them ALL - has made it faster. You'll really like it.
13412528, the increase in processing power over the years is ridic
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Nov-06-20 05:00 PM

13412622, Yeah, it’s much snappier which was the main reason I got it
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Nov-06-20 10:03 PM
My old one was getting unbearably slow at doing anything. I’m liking the always on display and raise to speak for Siri. You can tell they are kind of struggling to come up with new things to do with it though. Not that I care, I just like it for the basic stuff.
13412529, I might have to say fuck it and get the new air
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Nov-06-20 05:01 PM
not tht I ever used my retina ipad but it should be put out of its misery

13412594, Apple Arcade really makes the iPad worthwhile....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Nov-06-20 08:41 PM
Especially when you have an 8 year old and 4 year old.
Also they’re perfect for this new normal of remote learning.... and talking to the grandparents.
13412625, I’m tired of using my phone when surfing on the couch
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Nov-06-20 10:25 PM
My old Air isn’t BAD, but it’s showing it’s age in terms of speed and the battery is almost always dead when I want to use it. I wish iPads had wireless charging.
13413755, Update: Said fuck it and got the 11" iPad Pro instead
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Nov-13-20 04:59 PM
Decided it was dumb to forgo Face ID, larger storage, and better screen etc. just to save like $180 which I would never think about again after the initial purchase. Mostly Face ID. I don't regret it.

Opened my old iPad after using the new one for a while to reset it for my girlfriend. The screen size/quality/bezels all of a sudden looked terrible to me.

Still think the new Air is really nice but also think its BS to put Touch ID on it and only reserve Face ID for the "Pro" versions when its pretty standard on any iPhone at this point. You see how they got my ass though. I didn't even want a new one, then wanted the new Air because it was lower priced than a Pro, and then just wound up getting a Pro.
13413752, Picked up my mini and saw the MAX
Posted by handle, Fri Nov-13-20 04:48 PM
I'm coming from iPhone 8 PLUS for the last 3 years.

Setting mini up now, seems small but screen size is good.

Saw the iPhone 12 Pro MAX at the store and it's basically the same size as the iPhone 8 Plus - people on the net are making it sound gigantic - it's not.

13413806, The Mini size is FUCKING great
Posted by handle, Sat Nov-14-20 12:46 PM
Love love love the physicals size.

Typing is completely fine.

Read these boards here is kind of small - and the zoom feature doesn't work great.

Now I'll just watch the battery for a few days - if it's okay for me then this phone is a keeper.
13414562, The mini is great EXCEPT for misisng telephoto
Posted by handle, Mon Nov-23-20 09:53 PM
I used the telephoto lens a lot more than I thought.

But the size of the phone is so much easier to handle than my old iPhone 8.

Really starting to think of swapping the mini in for the 12 pro to get the telephoto lens - but I don't need the extra size/weight/cost.

13414568, RE: Picked up my mini and saw the MAX
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Nov-23-20 11:48 PM
>I'm coming from iPhone 8 PLUS for the last 3 years.
>
>Setting mini up now, seems small but screen size is good.
>
>Saw the iPhone 12 Pro MAX at the store and it's basically the
>same size as the iPhone 8 Plus - people on the net are making
>it sound gigantic - it's not.
>
>

Yep. I went from a 7 plus to the 12 max. I’ll hit a w when I meant to type a q sometimes. Besides that, I’m enjoying the screen length upgrade quite a bit.

And the overall physical phone size is not a big change so I’m good. Now I just need to use these cameras.