Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI wrestled with it. When I'm indecisive especially during election
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13406806&mesg_id=13411121
13411121, I wrestled with it. When I'm indecisive especially during election
Posted by lsymone, Tue Nov-03-20 10:27 AM
season I travel a bit and go back to the past.

I went and visited starting with Malcolm X, James Baldwin, Fannie Lou Hamer and ending w/ Frederick Douglass graves. Its a different feeling when you read and study historical folk vs visting their tombstones. And yes I'm one of those people who actually talks to the dead, and I gave them a run down as to what's going on in 2020.

Just seeing their names on their headstones motivated me to not just vote but write checks to local and state officials who are running for policies to help the black community.

Lastly, I went to Douglass home in Highland Beach, Md in August. One of the Alphas who's direct descendant of FD and his 1st wife, Anne, gave me a tour of the home where his 1st son built, yet he died before he got a chance to live in it. There's a balcony where a rocking chair was placed for FD to sit in and he wouldve looked across the river and see Talbot County, the place he was enslaved in and where one night his mistress is teaching him to read, and he hears his mistress' husband telling her "dont teach that lil nigger how to read, it'll start trouble."

I early voted last month.