Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSugar withdrawal is a thing right? Addendum: is sugar addiction real?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13405053
13405053, Sugar withdrawal is a thing right? Addendum: is sugar addiction real?
Posted by MEAT, Fri Sep-25-20 01:39 PM
Like I get migraines but this shit came out of nowhere today.
Usually it’s because I’ve been drinking too frequently. Or sometimes if I go off CBD edibles and come back ... within a few days.
But right now the only difference is I just am trying to go cold turkey on sugar and only started yesterday and out of nowhere today just a complete wham.

Addendum: is sugar addiction real?

The only reason I’m cutting out sugar or trying to is because whenever they’re in the house I feel compelled to eat them. I don’t have an addictive response to anything the way I do with gummy bears or donuts. And like ... I don’t want to be fat.
13405058, hell yeah...
Posted by PG, Fri Sep-25-20 01:53 PM
it's deadly even... I stay knocking it back too. but yeah it can fuck everything up... murders the metabolism which will lead to all kinds of withdrawal symptoms. good luck.
13405060, definitely
Posted by walihorse, Fri Sep-25-20 02:29 PM
My wife tried to stop eating any added sugar. couldn't get passed the 6th day. She said it felt like withdrawal
13405070, Six days? I've fooled myself into thinking this was as bad as it gets
Posted by MEAT, Fri Sep-25-20 02:53 PM
13405155, I've heard it's real.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Sep-25-20 10:38 PM
I've heard that people that add ketchup to everything (eggs, fries, steak, etc.) have a sugar addiction.

I'm sure I have it because I'm the living embodiment of the "Now I need something sweet" meme.
13405162, I wouldn’t recommend going cold turkey. Try substitutes at first.
Posted by soulfunk, Sat Sep-26-20 04:12 AM
If you’re craving something sweet instead of eating food with added processed sugar substitute with something sweet but natural - fruit like strawberries, grapes, cherries, pineapple, etc. are all sweet enough that they can satisfy a sweet tooth. They have a good amount of sugar (but not processed sugar obviously) but are typically more satiating per calorie than junk food sugar.

Intermittent fasting is great to train your brain and body to not crave sugar, because it keeps insulin spikes down. Also, sometimes when your brain is craving sugar it’s really your body needing sodium. I read that it can be a mineral imbalance in which your body needs sodium but the signal to the brain gets crossed and you crave sugar. When I get cravings (especially while fasting) putting a few sea salt crystals on my tongue actually works to satisfy the craving maybe half of the time.
13405187, Thanks. That’s the plan. I’m a notorious snacker
Posted by MEAT, Sat Sep-26-20 08:54 AM
So I’m just getting rid of junk food to start.
13405226, I agree with this with the exception of grapes (for MEAT's sake)
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Sep-27-20 03:03 AM
They're natural but so high in sugar that they'll still cause migraines if you're prone to them.
I advise staying away from pecans too.
13405232, Good point. I actually had to chill on grapes because they aren’t
Posted by soulfunk, Sun Sep-27-20 09:45 AM
as satiating as other fruits - I can mindlessly eat 500 calories of grapes QUICK, just as bad as eating some ice cream or something in terms of raw calories/sugar intake. But in terms of forming good habits, making the substitution is a good start. Once you become more mindful of what you’re eating you naturally start improving more and more - to the point that eating a 100 calorie apple feels like a MEAL.
13405171, I go low carb occasionally and the withdrawal is real
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Sat Sep-26-20 07:21 AM
There’s usually a fog that sets in after 3 days and lasts for an extra day or two but then it’s all clear after that.

It’s great for resetting your taste buds too. The natural sweetness in some foods you wouldn’t usually consider sweet starts to come through again. My wife often looks at me crazy for saying carrots are sweet but she’s someone that puts sweet sauces on everything
13405173, Read the 80's best seller Sugar Blues
Posted by Mori, Sat Sep-26-20 07:41 AM
Congrats!! Be easy on yourself. Sugar is more addictive than crack and cocaine. It is easier to treat HIV patients than diabetes patients. Sugar is in EVERYTHING!

This book will have you living off of fats, proteins and grains.

Sugar is a drug. It has been chemically altered to make you addicted. The writer delves into the slave trade, the sugar trade and though it is written in the 80's, modern day food additives.

Sugar is the root of all of our health problems. From cancer, obesity, skin issues, depression, hyperactivity, fertility and emotional well being.

If you can reduce sugar, notice I didn't say eliminate, because you are too far gone at this age to eliminate unless you become a diabetic.

I have somehow cut out all my cravings for sweets, cakes, juices and candies. The only foods I find myself eating are high fats and proteins (meats, potaoes, green veggies, ceaser salads, rice, soups, dumplings, fruits).

My fat intake has increased to satisfy my sugar high addiction like craving.

13405181, You forgot to add that it caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
Posted by Backbone, Sat Sep-26-20 08:17 AM
13405174, Sugar addiction is real AF
Posted by Castro, Sat Sep-26-20 07:42 AM
13405213, https://examine.com/nutrition/where-do-cravings-come-from/
Posted by Sponge, Sat Sep-26-20 04:30 PM
https://examine.com/nutrition/where-do-cravings-come-from/
13405214, once you lower your sugar intake
Posted by will_5198, Sat Sep-26-20 04:46 PM
you will be able to taste the incredible amounts of sugar we ingest on a daily basis. the sensitivity difference in your taste is crazy.

processed sugar is absolutely addicting. there is no other reason people would normally drink 20 oz soda after 20 oz soda, daily.
13405215, Bro, this is SO real...
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Sep-26-20 05:27 PM
At my best I’m lifting, walking, getting miles in on the bike and intermittent fasting. No soda, juice, candy and maybe an occasional dessert. At my worst I’m guzzling 2 or 3 20oz bottles of Coke/Cherry Coke/Cherry Vanilla Coke a day, with one of them sometimes chasing a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.
13405216, drinking soda is like eating a whole cake now
Posted by tomjohn29, Sat Sep-26-20 06:10 PM
13405235, same with salt
Posted by hardware, Sun Sep-27-20 10:55 AM
and cheese
13405960, I drink about a gallon of water a day. Had a soda yesterday
Posted by Amritsar, Thu Oct-01-20 08:47 AM
You quickly realize why people drink this shirt everyday.

It’s a controlled substance lolll
13405233, It's simple. I'm off it and I feel better.
Posted by bigkarma, Sun Sep-27-20 10:13 AM
The addiction is real, and the really sad part is that it's an addiction where the addict has 24/7 access to the drug. Imagine if a heroin addict could just get heroin anytime they wanted it, cheaply.

I'm a middle-aged Black man, with middle-aged Black man shit... high blood pressure, joint inflammation, family history of heart disease and diabetes... etc.

I jumped on the keto bandwagon, and my numbers got back in the range, I've got a lot less joint pain, and I'm no longer considered pre-diabetic. So as much as I would love to have a DQ Blizzard everyday, feeling better is worth the sacrifice.
13405954, Down 7 lbs in a week.
Posted by MEAT, Thu Oct-01-20 08:04 AM
Cut out processed sugars, doubled up on the indoor bike, skimmed down portions. Stopped snacking
13406219, Down 9lbs and still going
Posted by MEAT, Fri Oct-02-20 11:48 AM
13406479, sugar is poison just like heroin
Posted by blackfoot_female, Sat Oct-03-20 02:33 AM
it just kills you much much slower. it is as addictive to the brain as heroin.