Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOh no, you never go full Handmaid's Tale
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13404560
13404560, Oh no, you never go full Handmaid's Tale
Posted by double negative, Wed Sep-23-20 09:05 AM
Keep this name in your pocket:
Amy Coney Barrett

She might be Trump's fav pic for SC.

Lets get to it:

https://www.newsweek.com/amy-coney-barrett-people-praise-group-inspired-handmaids-tale-1533293?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1600703902
13404569, His pick is getting confirmed regardless. There's no stopping it
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Sep-23-20 10:27 AM
I guess there's an issue of timing. Before the election vs after. But Trump is getting another seat. All the necessary people are on board.

Accepting that inevitability, the question then becomes what can be affected? What can be affected is the 2020 election. A new batch of senators and a president can be put in place to put a stop to future appointments for at least a little while. And maybe they can change the rules to lessen the impact of this appointment.

So I think there should be a cohesive strategy on how his pick is scrutinized to improve election chances. I don't think attacking character issues or weirdness like this handmaid's thing is the way to go.

Talking about the real life impacts of the selection is the way to go in my opinion. Get people talking about healthcare again (Republicans hate when that's on the table). Get people talking about the fragility of roe v wade.

I think Mcconnell is willing to sacrifice a couple of senators to get another supreme court pick. But the right approach could make it more than a couple
13404574, Dems should've had a cohesive plan ready for this 5 years ago.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-23-20 10:32 AM
Ginsberg fucked us by not retiring with a dem prez and senate when she had the chance. That being the case, dems should've started immediately planning for this inevitability.

Of course, they didn't. So as always they'll be playing from behind rather than having had a proactive strategy in place for what was obviously going to happen once Ginsberg made her awful decision.
13404583, We need term limits. This lifetime shit is bull
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-23-20 10:49 AM
Once you hit 70 you need to hang up the fucking robe and gavel

Brewsters Million ran on “None of the above!”

My slogan for 2022 and beyond: None of the above...65!!!

13404588, It really is. I don't even fully understand the logic behind it
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-23-20 11:13 AM
Assuming there was any in the first place.
13404587, Ginsburg*
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-23-20 11:12 AM
I knew that was wrong typing it but left it by accident and it's too late to edit. Damnit.
13404578, obamacare goes to the supreme court on nov 10
Posted by mista k5, Wed Sep-23-20 10:38 AM
that should be getting a lot of attention.
13404590, Whoever it is, the key is go after her positions.
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Sep-23-20 11:19 AM
The affluent "suburban housewives" that Drumf is so heavily courting favor the ACA and support abortion rights. So focusing on the ideology of the nominee is the better strategy.

The GOP favor turning this into a fight over the appointee's personal life. You can see it the way Graham is justifying his flip-flop.
13404781, and this is my criticism of Dems when it came to Kavanaugh
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Sep-24-20 08:42 AM
going back to his HS days doesn’t work. You have to go at their positions.

We all did dumb shit in our teens. No one will care if this woman lied on a term paper in HS or college. That only works when the GOP does it to Dems.. lol.

13405127, Well SHIT. He actually picked her.
Posted by double negative, Fri Sep-25-20 07:15 PM
13405540, I really wish the dem’s would play the big joker on this one...
Posted by Trinity444, Tue Sep-29-20 09:26 AM
impeach him again...