Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: RIP America RBG died...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13404112&mesg_id=13404235
13404235, RE: RIP America RBG died...
Posted by jane eyre, Sat Sep-19-20 09:03 AM
>With that out of the way, At what point is Democratic Leadership held >accountable for not being effective at bringing together their >base/winning elections/getting policy implemented?

I view what you're describing as politics as usual.

I hold Democrats responsible for not realizing that the Republicans stopped playing politics as usual. I hold Democrats responsible for not having an answer for that.

Republican gains have been won thanks to increasingly anti-democratic tactics, strategies, and rhetoric.

The Democrats and Republicans aren't a one-to-one comparison...to me. Republicans say the word "democracy" and perform democracy, but they aren't bound by it and surely don't respect it.

>After just giving up a Supreme Court pick in Obama's last term I have >little faith they'll put up much of a fight to keep
>Trump from getting someone in there WEEKS before an election
>(I hope I'm wrong)

I disagree. I don't think the Democrats just gave up a Supreme Court pick. I think they were defeated by actors who don't play by the rules unless it benefits them. They were defeated by actors who, strategically, have turned the logic of abiding by the terms of political losses--*temporary* reduced power and reduced capacity to govern--on its head. They see the future and know it's not White! They know the electorate is changing in ways that make it more difficult for the party to win outright.

Rather than change and form collaborative coalitions that invite minority-majority folks into the fold, what have the Republicans done?
They have protected White power and White interests. Now, they have all but captured *future* legal and political control of institutions to pursue the desires of White power and interests. They have greater power to keep a metaphorical foot on the neck people of color as they do it. And they will!

At minimum, the foot on our necks will be in place for decades. And they will capitalize on it. They will *continue* to push to make sure: White power, White rule.

Some people of color, who are well intentioned, have been playing on the wrong field and playing the wrong game. McConnell wasn't going to tap them on the shoulder and let them know! The Democrats have been sounding the alarm. Our attention was elsewhere when the Republicans began operating the pathetic, poisonous, dark, craven, power grab of minority rule.

>These are not the actions of honest actors who represent the
>people who voted them in.

I wish Democrats understood power.

I definitely agree with you: Democrats should represent people who vote them in. But I think that's about power instead of honesty. I view McConnell's unholy alliance with Trump as a good example of that.

I think James Carville is right: in politics, without power and the courage to use it, you have nothing. And so, I let those
who are skilled at the murky and darker political arts fight it out. I want political representation that understands power, though.

>If you're THAT bad at achieving your goals, why the fuck are
>you still sitting in that seat?

If Democrats don't play nice, Democratic voters should *make* them. Teapartiers and Republicans created, exploited, and used their political power to put their cards in the game to win a desired result. And here we are. It was a team effort.