Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI am softly in the market
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13403364&mesg_id=13403538
13403538, I am softly in the market
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Sep-14-20 05:06 PM
I have a car I purchased last year but it was kind of with my dad in mind as he often used it for business errands (he worked with my business) and my mom's myriad appointments (she no longer drives). I was going to get an SUV but being older and more traditional I knew he wouldn't like that, so we opted for a sedan. It was a hybrid and memorably he said "I got the last car I'm going to drive. It's a hybrid, so I feel part of the future." My wife and I really got a kick out of that, such a sweet dad thing to say.

Almost a year to the day after we bought it, he died very suddenly. As some of the OKS guys know, that was really devastating for us.

Now we have the car and it's almost paid off; we are on a fairly aggressive payment schedule. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it's a Ford Fusion hybrid with low mileage, but I'd like something that sits higher and is more plush. So I guess my plan is to give the car to my wife--she is learning how to drive as there was no need in the places we lived previously--and then buy an SUV.

I'd love to hear thoughts. I have driven quite a few. Looking for something I can buy with low mileage in the 15K to 25K range, not a new car. So far I like the Kia Sorrento (AWD V6 version) and the Nissan Murano (kind of wimpy but very comfy). Maybe a Telluride if those start hitting the market off leases. I also drove various Jeeps (didn't like any of them to own), a Hyundai Santa Fe (kind of boxy), a Renault SUV (VERY boxy) we rented in Aruba, a Volvo S60 and S90 (great but not in price range and $$$ to own), a Subaru Forester (also pretty nice), a Toyota Rav4 (wasn't a fan) and a Honda Pilot (not bad but nothing all that attractive about it). I'm definitely open to experiences and suggestions.