Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOk, so I watched it and.... uh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13403200&mesg_id=13403349
13403349, Ok, so I watched it and.... uh
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Sep-12-20 09:35 AM
I thought this was a documentary about children in dance culture. I hadn't seen any clips or anything.

While Aba and Preach are sensible guys, I disagree with their take quite a bit.

I get the idea that they wanted to show how dance culture is too much for little girls, but I felt a documentary would've been better. The thing that really fucks me up about this is the close ups of these little girls as they were dancing... I mean all in their crotches and stuff... man wtf was that all about? I really dgaf about people arguing that it's "supposed to be uncomfortable" because that message could be conveyed without those shots. It still would've been uncomfortable. Those shots were gratuitous for no reason. They really sexualized these child actors and put the camera all in their lil hind parts to prove a point? That doesn't sit well with me.
Other than that, the story was... ok I can't even say the story was very good. Far more complicated than I've heard anyone say, for sure, but Idk if I'd say it's good. The girls were annoyingly mean, but maybe that's normal? Idk man. The way the lead character turned into a complete villain so suddenly can easily come across as conservative propaganda like "THIS is what dance culture will do to your children!" The way they're sexualized is bad enough. Sure, there were other things going on in Amy's life, watching her mom struggle with polygamy, for instance, that could've contributed to her acting out, but her jump was still quite drastic imo. This movie could really be just as much a critique against polygamy and the "virtuous female" idea as it could against dance culture. This could all have a bit to do with the way it's being framed tho. Overall, there's a lot going on, and I don't think it's just about dance culture at all. I didn't need to see this, but maybe someone does.