Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYou have to treat it like a business or people will walk over you
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13402438&mesg_id=13402479
13402479, You have to treat it like a business or people will walk over you
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Sep-03-20 06:42 PM
But showing compassion and understanding will usually get you a better relationship with a tenant and more ability to work through tough situations.

I consider it like a service business. I want "repeat customers" that stay for a long time so I don't have to spend money refurbishing the place all the time. I don't do anything extravagant, just try to respond to their issues as quickly as possible.

In return, I ask them to be transparent with me if they're having any financial issues. If I start having to chase someone around for rent or they start giving me outlandish excuses, that's usually a sign that you're going to have to get the courts involved.

I had one family that let me know that they were $2k in the hole every month because the wife had come down with epilepsy and couldn't work anymore. We tried to work something out but ultimately we agreed for them to leave and I didn't pursue them in court. They had been great tenants up to that point so it felt more like I was helping them out than losing money.