Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAs a former Christian... I have (had) a lot of those.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13401896&mesg_id=13401909
13401909, As a former Christian... I have (had) a lot of those.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Aug-31-20 12:37 PM
Pretty much everyone from my former church "family" support Trump.

With very few exceptions, I cut ties with all of them. So much of their ideology became much more pronounced after he was elected. Of that group, I'd say two of my former youth pastors are the most disappointing, because I maintained close relationships with them all through my adulthood.

One, I thought I could be that voice of reason to him, but it became clear that he- as his family- are who they are, and there's just no changing them. My last convo with him, was him doing some "well would you think it was so bad if the cop were brown and those women were white?" in response to a cop asking two Hispanic women in Idaho for their papers, because they were speaking Spanish.

I realized that this is just who he is. People can change, but these conservative christian Trump types are a tall order, and I'm certainly done trying to be that agent for these people.

I used to be close to one of his daughters, and she always had a more progressive view on things over the years. I saw her losing her shit about JLo's SB party on FB, and we had a phone discussion about it.

During the call, she started lamenting about how Trump was bringing god and morality back to the country, and at one point in the discussion, she said something to the effect of "and the homosexuals, don't get me started on those people.... they can do what they want but don't push it on my children".

That was the last conversation we had.

Looking back on most of them, there were plenty of signs over the years, but I always ratioalized those relationships. They were there for me in a lot of ways through my teenage and young adult years, I could provide a counterpoint to their thinking, etc. But Trump, somehow, seems to have inspired a more aggressive attitude with them.

Conversely, the circle I developed outside of the church has very few Trump supporters, but a fair number of them are pulling this "both sides are just as bad" bullshit, which is nearly as disappointing.