Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYou are missing the point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13399669&mesg_id=13403846
13403846, You are missing the point
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Sep-17-20 06:36 AM
1) it is presenting racism in America and wrapping Lovecraftian horror around it. That is all that one can say it's doing from a surface look. You can go deeper than that and arrive at other things, but on the surface it's just that.

2) Most people only see things at a surface level. Kudos to okp for being woke, but most people surface.

3) A tounge in cheek mocking of Lovecraft's racism is not dealing with the effects of that racism. Neither is a big neon sign. And my point is that the effects of his racism in particular are the deep seeded shit that has been pervasive in the white consciousness for over a hundred years and literally a part of why we're still dealing with this shit today.

4) If a show cannot deal with that head on then perhaps it's not the show we need on this topic.

Again I think the show on its own is fine, but as a commentary on Lovecraft it's nowhere near enough.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."