Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectEpisode 4 is definitely an adventure
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13399669&mesg_id=13402717
13402717, Episode 4 is definitely an adventure
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Sep-06-20 01:44 AM
The episode builds nicely. By the end, there's so much to keep you anticipating the next part of the story.

First off, the little boy at the library who wanted them to be quiet was reading "Journey To The Center of the Earth" and when they went into the ground at the museum, Atticus said "This is some Journey To The Center of The Earth shit." I've never read that book or seen the movie, but I know that in the book, the the gang have to get out of the volcano within 48 hrs due to the temperature rising. Here, they have 3 hrs because the tide is rising. There could have been more references to it all throughout the episode for all I know.

The idea of the Orrery is interesting. Especially since the light from the moon opened the vault. That's reminiscent of how the moon always shine on the pyraminds a certain way, as they're built to exactly correspond to certain celestial bodies. Gonna be interesting to see what Hippolyta does with that. Also gonna be interesting to see where she's going and what she runs into on the way. Looks like she's going to become a major player in the story given what she's got going on AND her past and the naming of the constellation.

I love how they portray Atticus and Letitia's relationship. They "fight like a married couple" as the old saying goes, but they love the hell out of each other. There's a good balance of familiarity arguing and expressions of love between them.

I also like the fact that the priestess' spell even worked on Christina. Shout out to negro spirituality.

Not sure what Montrose's deal is. This nigga done burned the book and killed Two Spirit. Seems like he's either working for the Braithwaites, spelled by them, an incarnation of another spirit, or just out for himself. Hard to believe he's really just trying to protect him family like he claimed. Could be tho... who knows. Can't wait to find out.

Speaking of Two Spirit, the visual of her coming to life from a skeleton was cool af. Also, maybe she couldn't trust Atticus' spirit because Montrose was standing beside him.

Ruby's story is just plain ol' real shit with her not applying and then going in the store to see the first Black woman working there. Sometimes you just gotta try. I'm not sure if Samuel licking her blood has any significance, but I'd guess it does. Should've known they'd somehow throw in a white man sleeping with a Black woman tho. Almost seems mandatory for shows to get on TV now. The musical backdrops suggests he spelled her, but still, they gotta find a way to get it in there.