Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectam I crazy for feeling deep disappointment over this?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13399361&mesg_id=13399412
13399412, am I crazy for feeling deep disappointment over this?
Posted by double negative, Fri Aug-14-20 12:18 PM
the sports aspect is fun, Drake making fun of himself is fun, the throwback promo shot in the white suit is nostalgic and fun

my problem is how fucking tone deaf it is with the framing.
this nike commercial passed off as a music vid opens with him rolling up in a giant luxury car to the nike HQ to spend each shot as a rapping nike model - then there is the shot of him shopping in an empty nike store.

I get that the song is about distracting yourself from being in the moment where uncomfortable emotions might exist

I'm not suggesting they make a song about protests, covid or the election

but

at the very least, I wished they expressed some damn awareness about the vibe of things. People are losing jobs, people are worried, shit is bad and these dudes is hoping around celebrating capitalism, consumerism, and excess like shit aint real in the streets for damn near everyone.

but...there is the angle where it could be argued that the video is doing what the song title is suggesting. Be entertained and laugh now...cry later once this distraction ends.
Which, still, I think the overt consumerism is lame, but I can get with that reading.