Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHa I've been wondering this myself.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13399062&mesg_id=13400305
13400305, Ha I've been wondering this myself.
Posted by Brew, Thu Aug-20-20 09:33 AM
>do you think convincing him is even possible? You're the one
>that knows him so i'm not gonna pretend I have the answer to
>that.

Two things about that: (1) if he can be so easily convinced of all the bullshit in this string of qanon videos, I have to assume (hope) that the switch can be flipped back off, too. But maybe I'm underestimating the power of these conspiracies. In fact I pretty clearly am I suppose, considering how far we've fallen in four years as a country, and how many otherwise good people I know who have inexplicably supported this fool and so quickly jumped on board this conspiracy train.

(2) He's a really good person, or at least has been for the time I've known him. So perhaps I'm naive or biased, but I think/hope this is just a glitch in an otherwise good person's life. But I'm also really concerned that he's too far gone, because the country as a whole is seemingly too far gone on so many levels. And considering the fact that we've very patiently tried to bring him back to reality, and he still hasn't budged ... maybe it's hopeless.

All that is to say - I'm not entirely sure hah. But I hope so.

>My friend's kid's mom is literally a flat earther, and she
>was your run of the mill democrat a few years ago. She voted
>for Obama twice. She got with some far right dude about 5
>years ago and now she's all gun carrying pro-Trump and thinks
>Obama's going to hell (I'm not even sure her reason). She's
>always been an easily influenced dunce though. There are
>probably a couple more left leaning people I know who would be
>right wing given a change of environment.

Goddamn that's crazy. And I know a lot of people who, like your friend's kid's mom, voted for Obama twice and are now borderline right wing extremists or at least Trump supporters. Mindblowing.

I hope there's research being done on these types of people in real time. In other words I hope that someday we get *some* explanation for this left/moderate-to-right-wing-extremist wave we've seen with so many people since 2016. Because it doesn't make any logical sense.