Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFor me, it's not really what does he gain but what does trump have to lose
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13398876&mesg_id=13398896
13398896, For me, it's not really what does he gain but what does trump have to lose
Posted by select_from_where, Wed Aug-12-20 12:08 PM
Typically, when VP picks are made they don't make much waves, in terms of votes.

But in a pandemic, politically, she creates some problems for Trumps campaign

-Because she is a relatively new face, they really don't have a true, nationally recognized, scandal to pin her to, it makes effective attack ads difficult to create. She is not perfect by any means, but GOP will have to go deep into the conspiracy chamber to find something that will stick.

-her DNA as a lawyer, it blunts this law and order platform the orange man keeps pandering to, She comes from the justice side of things with actual experience.

-Her reputation as a debater (which I feel is being overplayed at this point) is solid, she can hold her own

-TURNOUT, she is a solid ask by the party to get voters to actually TURN OUT in November, At this point, this is a turnout game vs the voter suppression game. Black women have held up this party for decades, its a serious overture to them. Whether they receive it like that only time will tell.

Finally, we have to take the context. ALL of this is taking place in a race where polling shows trump is losing, we don't know by how much, but its not like their campaign does not have other problems to deal with. All of this pressure to blunt loud and steady rebuke of his administration should create some funding/staffing/messaging problems for them and reinforce what got Biden to this lead in the first place, Trump mismanagement/ putting his foot in his mouth.