Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMan this movie weighs on me.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13397985&mesg_id=13424025
13424025, Man this movie weighs on me.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Feb-14-21 05:34 PM
1. Shot out to the Homey Shaka King. He is a good dude and deserves any success that comes from this.

2. This isn't Malcolm X. I should have prepared myself for this going into it, it would have managed my expectations.

3. Fred Hampton was only 21!!! Like that should be central thesis to this whole enterprise! I don't begrudge the British Black Actors, but the one thing they are unable to convey is that these were by our standards children dealing with this heavy ish.

4. This review is trash. shorturl.at/mAEW9. The problem with this film isn't with Hollywood co-opt'ing radical black history.

5. I don't mind so much time spent on the black FBI informant if they really dealved into the issue of black people betraying out own movements. That'a an important topic we need to discuss but this movie didn't do it. I didn't understand the character. LaKeith actually gave him TOO much depth because what we got was a character doing all these things that we couldn't understand why he was doing it. LeKeith played a torn character, but the actions didn't depict a torn character. A torn character would have had other motivations. All we saw was a dude facing a little bit of jail time who seemed to have been highly motivated by money. He wasn't donnie brascoe. That character didn't make sense in a way that hurt the movie.

6. The big difference between Fred Hampton and Malcolm X is that Fred Hampton was all a lot of unfulfilled potential . His love of black people came through in the movie. but not his motivation. Spike Lee's Malcolm X did that part sooo well. I ultimately left this movie wondering who was Fred Hampton.

7. Man I will never get use to 4k movies. This movie just kind of looked terrible to me. Not cinematic at all. I won't blame the production. I will blame my 4k TV and assume I am not ready for what movies will look like now and going forward.

8. Jay-Z murdered every rapper on that Soundtrack. Sorry Nas and Rakim.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"