Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectnot in to gender wars
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13397946&mesg_id=13398995
13398995, not in to gender wars
Posted by EAS, Wed Aug-12-20 01:49 PM
And can't be shamed for having an opinion.

>The black men rapping about drugs and murder were also being
>pushed by labels to fit an agenda, and they were also being
>exploited, but the context of seeing them speak their truth
>with their chest on a large platform was impactful for other
>black people. These two truths can coexist.

I think you missed where I typed this:

Yes Black men need to do better too but they don't own or run shit.

>Mainstream music is inherently exploitative propoganda,
>especially rap, has been for 30+ years. The fact two women
>rapping about sex is where you decide to be angry about it is
>telling.

And I also think you missed where I typed this:

Back in the day, for every Salt'N Pepa there was a Yo-yo, M.C. Lyte, Monie Love, etc. to share the main stage.
Now that Cardi, Megan, etc. is the face of female rap and sells major, where are the balancing selling acts? Rhapsody? Noname? Tierra Whack? None of them is competing and can run with the Cardi's or the Megan's.

No one is angry. Just observing what's happening and stating opinion. Why is it when you get called out, the other person has to be ANGRY? GRRRRRRRR!!! tfoh

I am just asking where is the balance?

If the original post was about the latest male rapper video, I would have criticism as well....but this post isn't about that now is it? So why would I bring it up? That wouldn't be staying on topic.
But since we are now speaking on males, let's talk about it. Logic isn't murdering or pushing drugs the whole album. He is a platinum rapper. Chance dropped a whole album about being married. He is also a platinum rapper. And where did I mention that I listen to what's poppin' now?

I am from the era of Public Enemy, B.D.P., Jungle Brothers, X-Clan.....so what you sayin'? And during that same era was Ice-T, Too Short, N.W.A. and 2 Live Crew. Which brings it back home to my original point

B-A-L-A-N-C-E

or lack thereof.

Cardi and Megan are thrust in our face but I have to seek out Tierra, Noname? Those who cannot compete in the sexual imagery selling market.
I just would like to see both sides represented on the main stage. You know, see all sides and the diversity of women so I can celebrate it. You know.....'empowerment'.