Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhite men sure do know how to sell Black p.........
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13397946&mesg_id=13398844
13398844, White men sure do know how to sell Black p.........
Posted by EAS, Wed Aug-12-20 10:24 AM
What did Cardi say on the Netflix competition show 'Rhythm and Flow'..."How will the white man sell you?" I think about that when I watch this video. How do white men see women of color around the globe? What is that history? Are they seen as equals or objectified? Yes Black men need to do better too but they don't own or run shit.
It is great to see women enjoying and owning their sexuality but is that what's really going on here? To have a voice and a huge platform and using it to bus' it wide open is empowering? Black and Latino women have always been seen as 'loose', amoral, and sexual. Who do you think 'baby momma' is code for? White women? You think this video helps the narrative or hurts it?
Back in the day, for every Salt'N Pepa there was a Yo-yo, M.C. Lyte, Monie Love, etc. to share the main stage.
Now that Cardi, Megan, etc. is the face of female rap and sells major, where are the balancing selling acts? Rhapsody? Noname? Tierra Whack? None of them is competing and can run with the Cardi's or the Megan's. I think that is what some may have issue with. We say to ourselves that this is 'empowering' but deep down we know it is really not. We just say that to pretend not to be the old backpacker in the room or the misogynist.
Female acts being pigeon holed to sell sex is not 'empowerment', it is maintaining the status quo.
White people eat this up because it continues the narrative they already have of us. And who buys most rap products? Who is making Cardi number one?
But it's just entertainment right? So let's all just sit back and enjoy.