Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOne thing about this that has always bothered me...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13396877&mesg_id=13398367
13398367, One thing about this that has always bothered me...
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Aug-10-20 05:24 PM
>And if she was sexually assulted or raped or other women were
>mistreated in some way, as much as I loved that era of Music,
>The Roots, Common, Talib all of that....I hope dudes pay for
>that. No one should be violated like that period.
>
>This is all just tough to stomach though. Maybe because I
>always thought this crew was different. I felt like a piece
>of my high school and college years died with her post.

It seemed like many of these artists always felt the need to fit in. Common spent verse after verse dissin’ “wack shit” and then would turn around and give people props that fit the mold of who he was dissing in interviews. Even since the interlude going into Stolen Moments, when they’re talking about hoes and how dope the Master P movie was. Shit just didn’t fit the conscious image they were trying to have. And I’m not saying everyone is perfect but it just came off that they didn’t really know who they were and they were just trying to appeal to both sides for their own benefit when it was convenient.

Kweli is the same way. As soon as he caught that backpack title, he tried his hardest to lose it. Like he didn’t want to “just be a conscious MC” as if he had to prove he was hard or that he was from Brooklyn. Shit always came off corny to me.

And by no means am I siding with Jag and taking her at her word. If they did some shit then yes, I agree, they need to pay for it. But my comments above aren’t exclusive to Jag’s claims. Just how I’ve felt about their flip-flopping for a long time. Always came off as fraudulent to me.

I feel like that’s why I always like Black Thought the most because he seemed to just stay the same. People say he lacks personality but to me, he seemed like a normal person who was intelligent but from the streets and played his role. The others at times seemed like they were confused.

But shit, what do I know?